T-18 four speed to 225??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

T-18 four speed to 225???

I found a guy with a t-18 with a dana 20 and bellhousing attached for $500. I was looking into building a flattie 3b and since I put the 225 out of the jeepster aside for the Buick 350, I have a really good motor gathering dust. I actually was thinking of taking the t-18 and the bellhousing and finding a nice 258 that would bolt to it, but while talking to the guy, he told me he had a rare bellhousing that bolted to a t-18 and a Buick 350. Now I know that the 350 is the same bolt pattern as the 225, so would it work? He said he had two t-18, one with a 13.5 inch input shaft with a thick adapter (I think this was for the V8) and one with a shaft "about half that" WOuld any of these work? Is 500 a good price for the 18/dana20/AMC bellhousing? I actually think he would want around $250 for his rare bellhousing that may or may not work. Also I dont know if its the T-18a with the 6 something first or the older 4to1 first, are the old 18s pretty good with low axle gears?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 09:41 AM
Nickmil

Re: T-18 four speed to 225???

Need more info. What are the T-18's out of? Scout? Jeep Pickup or Wagoneer? Is the second one a Ford T-18? Being as Jeep used the Buick 350 in '68-'71 Wagoneers and Pickups I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the bellhousing is probably from one of those. That being said, the input is going to be Waaayyyyyy too long with the deep bellhousing, adapters, etc. for a flat fender. Your best bet is to either weld ears on the front of the transmission case to bolt directly to a stock buick bellhousing and change out the input shaft and front bearing retainer (use a Ford bearing retainer and input shaft, you will have to machine the bearing retainer to fit the Buick bellhousing and GM throwout bearing). The other option is to use a Buick scattershield with the Ford input and same goes for the bearing retainer. Regarding the 258, unless you want to move the grill forward and cut out the firewall forget it. The length of the motor is the reason why they lengthened the wheel base and nose on '72 and newer CJ's. Nickmil.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the bellhousing and the long input 18 came from a J truck, what about the short shaft 18, could I use the 350 bellhousing on the shorter one? What about an 18 from a jeepster that bolted to the 225? hard to find? are ford 18s easier to find? Thanks alot, Im kind of new to this stuff, every jeep Ive had has been an automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Nickmil

Depends on what the short shaft 18 is from. If I remember correctly there are approximately 12 different input shaft lengths used on the T-18. Two in Wagoneers and J-trucks alone! If it is from a Ford then that is what you want. Again, you can use a scatter shield which the Ford T-18 will bolt right up to but will need an adapter and new output shaft for the rear, or you can weld the ears on the transmission and bolt up to a stock CAR TYPE Buick Bellhousing (sorry, I should've been clearer earlier on this point), Or a CJ type that did not use the integral adapter built in to the bellhousing. The Ford main drive gear (input shaft) is the correct length for a stock depth GM bellhousing (car depth). You will have to machine down the bearing retainer because the ford unit is too large of a diameter, a little too long, and won't accept the GM throwout bearing. You will also need to machine the center of a GM pilot bushing as the pilot on the Ford main drive gear is a larger diameter or you can buy one already done.
This will give you the shortest combination of parts. If you need to source any of these parts, e-mail me privately and I can give you the # of someone who has Ford cases already welded to bolt directly to GM bellhousing, Machined pilot bushings, machined bearing retainers, and Ford input gears, all in stock. They also sell T-18's all ready to go with a machined STEEL adapter to 18 or 20 case all rebuilt ready to bolt up to GM bellhousing, Ford or T-150 bellhousings, etc. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode