Off Roading Forums banner

1 new TJ flare installed!!!(PIC)

457 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bornjeeper1 
#1 ·
After a few hours of work, I got a rear TJ flare onto my YJ. Now I just need to get the other three on/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif It fits very nice!! I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. The hardest part, literally, was getting the damn thing mounted. I still only have 4 screws holding it on. It's hard since the mounting points for it on a TJ are higher up and in a spot where I can't access. So I'm having to redrill the flares and what not. The other side should be a cake walk. But I'm not looking foward to the front.

Attachments

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Jammy
Looks Good. Nice Job.
There is a tool that will crimp a threaded collar into a blind hole. It handles Machine bolt sizes 8/32,10/24 & 1/4x20
It works much like a pop-riveter. I couldn't find it in Northern although that's where I bought mine.
Ask around. It works great on light duty stuff.

PEACE !! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
w

#3 ·
Hey, looks great.. I've been thinking about doing that for a while, so I'd be interested on your experiences on the front ones when you do them... But what is all the grey crap on the back corner??

CarbonCopy

83 CJ7 / 77 AMC 304 / 3" Body Lift / Work in progress

#4 ·
thats looks sweet, how much metal did you end up removing?
If you think of it take a pic of the line you draw to cut on, when you do the other side ( showing how much sheet metal you remove)

Looks good, good luck on the other side and the front

tony

79 CJ 5, 258, T18, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles, 33" MT/Rs

G
#5 ·
Little_W/Jammgood,
The threaded collar you are referring to is called a "Nutsert" or a "rivnut". They are very handy. I have used them to mount storage boxes, hardtops, etc. I believe Master Car carries them. I got mine from a local fastener store. They are like a threaded rivet as you said. The flare looks great! I am going to do that to mine in the future. If I put amy more TJ parts on my CJ, I will probably get shi$ from the hardcore CJ owners. LOL'
Good luck on the other flares.
Bill

1980 CJ7 /258,4.0L HO Head and MPI/ D44 ARB 3.73 front/ Detroit 1-Piece Axles AMC20 3.73 rear/ T98 tranny/ ARB Snorkel/ 33"BFG MTs/ Ramsey 10,000lb winch/ other stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.