OT Resignation letter. whos written them? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

OT Resignation letter. whos written them?

Hey all, well I am going to be quiting my current job and go to another company.
I want to leave on the best terms possible and I think I should write a resignation letter. problem is, I never have before. Do I just say "I'm quitting, you suck" or "I quit, please don't kill me!" or just the honest truth. I am not leaving because I don't like it there, I just have another oppertunity to expand my knowledge in my career. So heres mine.

thanks
surveyboy

March 6, 2002

Shaun Bootsma
xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
Fontana, Ca. 92337
(909) xxxxxxxxxHome
(909) xxxxxxxxxMobil

Dear Steve,

It is with great sorrow that I am hereby tendering my resignation with you.

I have accepted an offer with another firm and my last date of employment will be March 22, 2002 and I shall deliver all property of the firm in my possession.

This decision has been a difficult one and nothing to do with the generous pay that I have received while under your employment. Nor does it have anything to do with any specific individuals or policies at L.D. King. It has to do with the availability of advancement of my own personal education and experiences as a young Land Surveyor. L.D. King will never probably know the impact and the genuine gratitude that have towards it for the last 4 years of employment. L.D. King and Yourself especially has been more than fair with me and I will always look upon my time and experience as an employee as a very favorable time in my career and life.
I wish L.D. King continued success and I want to extend my thanks for allowing me to be a part of your team. Please feel free to contact me at any time if I can be of any assistance with past projects and in helping with a smooth transition.

Very truly yours,

Shaun Bootsma

it's only good to burn bridges if you're being chased.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 08:31 PM
sas87yj

Re: OT Resignation letter. whos written them?

does this mean you have to give them back the jeep, the digital camera and the handheld garmin?

so what are you going to do now? ever had a party chief position? any big construction jobs? you've got your lsit right?

the letter looks fine. you never know when you might be looking for a job again and you look up ld king again. i quit one job- stayed at the new one for a week and went back to the old one. it can happen.

guess this means more money- so you are going to be getting the new rubicon right?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 08:31 PM

To resign and not burn bridges, it's best to deliver the message in person. I would tell them most of what you wrote in the letter in that conversation. The letter should be the formal written notice of your resignation and the date you would like to be your last workday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally, I think the Johny Paycheck method is the best. Get a copy of "Take this job and shove it, I don't work here no more!!!!!" Walk into your office, hit play at full volume then leave.

In reality, don't give the boss to much information. Just tell them that you quit for your own reasons and let it go at that. They can't give you a bad reference in the future without documentation or you can sue their butts. However, anything you have put in print may be fair game.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 09:26 PM

I think "professional" is the guideline. The above letter is a little soppy with gratitude, keep it simple and bland. Personally I would trim it down to one line of gratitude with the offer to transition old projects within a reasonable amount of time. If you feel that they will try to take advantage of the time you offer, I would set boundaries/costs at a later date.

If you want to express your gratitude, it's better to do that in person.

There are some grammatic issues with the above you might want to iron out to make it flow a little smoother.

Last but not least, good luck in your new position and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 11:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I did it like this one time many years ago. Talking to the boss: "Why don't you step out in front of this building, drop your pants, back up on it and see how far you can ram it up your a$$"!!! Had I known he left and had a little pistol in his pocket when he came back (I guess he flashed it around after I packed my tools and left) I would have taken it away from him and beat his POS a$$ till I got tired of beating on him. I hate a liar and a thief, he was both. (and much much more)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 11:32 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I'd do it in person. One way or another there are going to be questions, you won't avoid a face-to-face. Just be polite and don't forget to shake hands when you leave. I've known a lot of people to quit for a "better" job, just to come back a few months later. You may want to keep that option open.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 12:31 AM

My I suggest. (Never done this before, contracts always ran out.)

#1. Do it like the guys said. In person.

#2. Volunteer the info about past projects in person, don't put it in the letter. (8 months after the end of a contract I was still getting calls about how to do this that and the other. They even asked me to go in and service their computers a few times too.)

#3. The guys are right about the gratitude. Say you have learned alot, say you are sorry you have to leave. But keep it short. The letter should be something they file away. Just for a record.

#4. If you decided to re-structure it, and re-type it, post it back on here and tell us to beat the $h1t out of your grammar spelling. There's no harm in getting it completely right. (Hey, there's most likely a couple of english professors on here or something. You can probably get it checked in both English +"U's" and English-"U's")

Mobil doesn't look like the correct spelling, but what the heck would I know.. I'd just use "Cell"

Um.. It's not bad, but the second sentance being a run on isn't perfect.

A good letter of resignation, under good leaving terms will no doubt secure you a good letter of reference, if not a Job incase of any problems with a new one.

No matter how much they are pissed cause you left, if it was under good terms and they are a smart bunch they will relaise they have 4 years of training and processing spent on you and most likely hire you back.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 07:00 AM

I would definatly tell your supervisor in person. Bring a revised copy of the letter with you and ask him to add it to your personal file. That way, if you ever want your job back and he is no longer there, whoever you speak with can grab your old file and look up the letter to see that you left on good terms. In NH, you also have the right to ask for a copy of whatever information is in your personal file. Not sure what the laws are in your state, but it's common practice. Take a copy with you when you leave.

Beer...liquid panty remover
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 07:49 AM
MarkF

As most of the others stated, you have to tell your boss in person before you deliver the letter. They'll still need a letter for your personel file, and the one you drafted is definitely too sappy.

Firstly, once you decide to leave, you shouldn't leave any open doors for them to counter with (ie education, opportunity, etc), so leave that part out.

The letter should contain the following information and should only be a few sentences. (All of the positive and thankful sentiments should be delivered verbally in person.) I'm leaving by this date and thanks for the opportunity.

Best of luck in your new job.

Mark F

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, 700r4, D44/D30, more to come shortly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode