Who here has installed an Atlas II in a TJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 05:58 AM
jeepfreak

Who here has installed an Atlas II in a TJ?

I blew up my NP231 yesterday so it looks like I'll be ordering a Atlas II on Monday. I was just wandering if anyone here has installed one in a TJ? From what I have read the install doesnt look too bad as long as you take your time. Just thought I would get some first hand opinions from those who have done it. Also all the write ups on it that I have looked at were for the AX15 tranny or the auto. Mine has the NV3550 so i was wandering if this would present any special problems?

I'm a Dapper Dan man!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 07:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Who here has installed an Atlas II in a TJ?

Id make sure i pounded advanced adaptrers with all these questions before you bought it.. my tj has an atlas, but the tranny and crossmember are different than yours. my atlas was indexed before it was installed and my skidpan doesnt hang down at all..id suggest it.

~~Elusive~~
everything good in life is round, breasts, halos, and headlights
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 12:32 PM
Old Hand

I haven't put one in, yet, but it shouldn't be too hard, just expensive. The mounting pattern is the same, so it being an nv3550 won't really change anything. Your main concerns are going to be the driveshaft lengths and types, and shifter linkage. Your profile doesn't say anything about what mods you have done. Is your current rear shaft standard or CV? This would be the time to switch to a CV if you haven't already. The atlas is shorter so you will need a longer rear shaft, new shaft if switching to CV, not sure about the front length. The shifter linkage shouldn't be too bad since it is a twin stick and you won't have to deal with the bellcrank crap. That's still giving me problems on mine now and then. As long as you have a torch to heat the shifters for any fine adjustments you should be fine.
BTW, how did you "blow up" the np231?

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 04:54 AM
jeepfreak

I already had the SYE in my 231 so i have the CV style shaft. From what Ive read It looks like I will need new front and rear driveshafts. It also looks like I have the option of running the stock 231 shifter or using the twin stick. I will probably use the twin sticks though for the 2low function and it looks awsome having both sticks. I will also deffinatley clock it up one notch. Elusive..How is your crossmember different? Gigolo...how is your bellcrank giving you problems? They way I screwed up the 231 is a whole other story. Basicly it boils down to running different gear ratios in the front and rear. For some reason I thought that as long as I stayed in 2 wheel drive I wouldn't have a problem...WRONG. Funny thing is that I couldnt tell that the 231 ever even binding until chain started slipping. I did hear some weird noises but I thought that it was coming from the old temporary dana30 that I have in the front. I'm going to take the 231 apart this week to see how bad the damage is. If it doesnt look to bad and the chain is all that needs replaced I might just repair it instead of throwing down $2500 for the Atlas.

I'm a Dapper Dan man!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 07:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have a RE long arm kit on my TJ and the skidpan that comes with it is perfectly flat. I have never heard of anyone regretting buying an atlas.

~~Elusive~~
everything good in life is round, breasts, halos, and headlights
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 09:42 AM
utahjeepr

I have a couple buddies running them behind autos. The t-case is still in nearly the same place so the same things should apply. If you want to use the flattest of the four mouting positions a little massaging of the floorpan will be required. You will also want to put a little extra heat shielding on the floor in the area near the t-case (the thin self adhesive foil backed stuff works fine) as the Atlas has been known to cook carpet in some installations. One of my buddies is running a prototype case he got from AA about a year ago. It allows the Atlas to mount totally flat, it may be an available option by now.

The twin sticks that are listed for the TJ (not the generic sticks) work well with the factory console. Some have trimmed the cosole slightly for easier operation, but it is usually not required.

Finally, depending upon your gearing you may be happiest with the 3.8 Atlas. Some who spend the extra money for the 4.3 end up regreting it because it is geared "too low". I know that I would most likely choose the 3.8 if and when I go with an Atlas. I have 100:1 now with a stock geared 300, the 4.3 would be a waste for me as I would rarely use 1st-low ratio of 163:1, the 144:1 of the 3.8 may be more than I would really use regularly.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Old Hand

My bellcrank is out of line because I have a 2" body lift, and the nv4500 I put in is about 1" longer than the nv3550, plus the nv4500 tail housing is different from the nv3550. I called AA to see if they made an assembly for this, and they sent me a new bracket and some new studs for the xfer case. I pulled the case, and the studs they sent were the same, so I made some longer ones out of all thread. Then I had to butcher the AA mount and the stock mount so they would clear the tranny. Now it is sort of a free floating assembly and it tends to bind when switching back down to 2 wheel, and sometimes when going up to 4 low. Here's a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-705101-Dscf0003.jpg (74.1 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 06:15 PM
jeepfreak

Thanks for the replys it has given me some insite. I am going to call AA tommorrow to ask them some more questions. I think that I will probably go with the 4.3 version. I will be running 35 MT/R's. I will have Dana 44's front and rear running ARB'S and 4.56 gears. This should be a good setup that will perform off-road and onroad. I'll post some pics when I get the Atlas installed.

I'm a Dapper Dan man!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode