windows - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

windows

I have a 97 wrangler that I am looking to replace the windows in. Has anyone had any experience with the glass sliders for a soft top? I am trying to decided between the fiberglass with the sliding glass or the denim with the sliding glass. I have noticed that sometimes on road with the wind blowing the top part of my door will pull out some and was wondering if this was going to be a problem with the denim. Wondered if that would cause the glass to pop out of the track. If anyone can give me some input I would appreciate it. Thanks, Cheryl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 09:28 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: windows

I've got the sliders with a Wrangler soft top. They are fine. I think mine are Steelhorse, only the rear glass moves. They are the fabric type but inside is a sheet of plastic to hold the window. The plastic insert in mine cracked, mostly my fault, I had to slam the door hard to get it to close and it was just too [email protected] cold to adjust the striker bolt. There was a guy selling seconds of these on ebay for about half-price. That's where I got mine. I kept the soft windows for late spring and early fall, the sliders don't let in enough air when it gets warm out but maybe where you live you don't see 100 temperature changes in 48 hours.

The only fiberglass ones that I have seen have the round rear corner and won't fit the OEM top.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Opps, checked your profile and see you are in KS same as I. Just ignore what I said about you maybe not having the temperature fluctuations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 10:26 PM

I don't have experiance with the windows them self's but the general feeling is steel horse anything is crap. Go with best top or other reputable brands though aviod anything steel horse (CJTAZ had his crack and i'm sure others have had problems whit their steel horse stuff but if it was a company with best top it would probably be warentied).

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 11:56 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Well, the price is hard to beat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...748404&r=0&t=0
Even Whitney gets $325 for these. Just keep watching until the color you need comes up. This is not the same guy I bought mine from.

Mine were 3 years old, it was very cold, and like I said, it was my own fault. I didn't adjust the striker bolt and the door was hard to get latched, popped open on the highway a couple of times. I got really PO'ed at it a few times and slammed the he!! out of it. The plastic cracked but the window still did not fall out.

I don't know where Steel Horse got the bad reputation, the only thing I remember hearing anybody complain about was the console. I've got some of their stuff on my Jeep and have no complaints and I am very hard to please. I can give you a list of references who can attest to the hard to please. The seats I've had for the last 8-10 years are Steel Horse Super Seats and have held up well to me sliding my 285 lb. in and out many times. There is no sagging in the seat or the side bolsters. They are very comfortable too especially considering my size.

I just noticed last week that there is a seam pulled slightly on the driver's seat after all this time. I just swapped it with the passenger side. If that wears out I'll either buy another set of Steel Horse or have these recovered in leather with heat.

I have no reason to promote Steel Horse, I have no affiliation with them, but I've had good luck with their products. Never had the console though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode