Hardtop on when wheeling? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 01:30 PM
kerns

Hardtop on when wheeling?

I'm just curious - do many people run a hardtop when you're wheeling? Maybe I'm just spoiled with the Colorado/Utah weather, but I never take more than the bikini. Although I'm thinking I'll get a softop for the longer journeys.

I took the hardtop/doors off my CJ the day I bought it and they have been sitting since. I think that wheeling with it would diminish the "open-air" experience. For those of you who do run it what are your thoughts?

Justin

84 CJ - "She may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 01:34 PM
toyatic

Re: Hardtop on when wheeling?

I've never wheeled with the top and doors off.. I wish I could.. can't trust the weather around here... Last sunday went wheeling it was t-shirt weather.. next day snowing.. This summer the top is coming off though...

4in currie lift, 4.56's, true trac, and 33's.. yeah it's a start!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Pooh-Bah

Winter time I run a hardtop and hard doors, summer is no doors, no top. In the winter for some trails I will run w/o the top to keep from smashing it, and sometimes in the summer I will run a bikini if raining.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run my hardtop during the winter, not cause I am cold but my jeep sits a lot more during the winter and I want to keep the rain and snow out of the jeep. If I had a soft top I would never put the hard top on.

I agree with taking the hard top off for wheeling. Perfect example, I went to Paragon a few months ago and couldn't decide to use the top or not. I ended up put the windjammer and stuff on. Thank god cause i bumped a tree within minutes. The last trail on my way up the rocks I leaned my jeep on the cage. I would have cried if I had my top on.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

I usually take mine off the first of May and put it back on after Labor Day. I run a bikini all summer - but I would like a softtop - just waiting until I get a set of Wrangler half doors. I am going to put my top back on this August when I go to the Dakota Chalange up by Rapid City for additional safty.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did my last run with my hard top on. I just had to be careful. It was noticably more top heavy.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 02:21 PM

I like to take the doors and hard top off for many reasons, it's the great jeep experience, it lightens the jeep, and it's less to get destroyed iff I roll.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 03:56 PM
kerns

Tippy why wait for half doors? What kind of doors do you guys run with a softop? I never run doors of any type, but would like to get some. I would like something that folds away small so I could just use them in bad wind/rain. What's the advantage of running half doors?

Thanks for your insight.

Justin

84 CJ - "She may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

when i had a few cj's, i used to pride myself in the fact that i had a hard top.. in fact i left it on wheeling one time and i twisted the frame and body up so much that the hard top windows popped out. this was just from ordinary wheeling too..

~~Elusive~~
everything good in life is round, breasts, halos, and headlights
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

I want the half doors for cruising around town in - keep rocks and junk from comming up and hitting my leg. I always have this fear of being sideswiped and having my leg trapped between the grill of a pickup and the side of my Jeep. Besides that, they look cool. But I don't want to sink $600 into a soft top with full canvas doors to only have to later buy a set of soft half door tops for another $100. I'm saving my money until I have $1000 and buy them both at the same time.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode