Swap a V8 in a M38A1 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 02:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Swap a V8 in a M38A1

Hello. Just bought a M38A1 (short CJ5) with the original axles and transfecase from about 1960).

I want to swap my Volvo B21 engine and volvo manual gearbox with a V8 and a aut. gearbox.

Is there anybody outthere who has tryed to swap a V8 and aut. gear in such a short Jeep? I would prefer a AMC or a Chevy V8.

Regards

My Jeep is a 1960 M38A1 with a Volvo B21 engine and a 4 speed manual gear. I want to swap in a V8 and a aut. gear - perhaps a Quadra-trac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:06 AM
tys

Re: Swap a V8 in a M38A1

Have you seen the Ultimate A1 build up in 4wheel and off-road? If not, goto their website and check it out. It's also documented in AdvanceAdapters Jeep project booklet ($10 +s/h) Go with a bowtie block and a TH350. Either SMC or a V6 TBI.

-Chris

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:31 AM
Little_W

First let me WELCOME you to the board.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I don't believe we have anyone else from Denmark posting.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I do not know if you have the length to get all you want under the Jeep. I'd suggest you measure carefully your current drive line and then look for combinations that fit. The V8 could put quite a strain on your axles, too.
How did the B21 get in it ?

PEACE !! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 05:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, Little_W !!

I'm from Denmark too! In fact I know the new guy Flemming!
And there's a guy called Maddana_CJ7. He's also from Denmark. Just so you know. All three of us likes this board, because there aren't that many Jeeps in DK, and therefor not much help/information to get elsewhere. But in here, people are very kind and provides us with all sorts of info and help. With a little help and advice from other Jeep-freaks in here, I managed to swap a 454bowtie, TH350 and a D300 in my '76 CJ5. And that's the best mod I have done so far to my Jeep. So, little_W, us Danes try to keep up with you from "over there" but again, there aren't that many Jeeps over here. Hopefully, in time, people will get wiser and trash their Toy's and Nissans in favour of the superior one! JEEP!!

'76 CJ5, 454BB, TH350, Dana300, 12x15 wheels, 35x15.50 TSL/SX
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 09:12 AM
Little_W

I did not know the board was that popular in DK. I'm happy to hear it and I stand corrected, thank you.

WOW a 454 in a 5, that's a tight fit. Then you know the driveline length problem on a short wheel base vehicle. And his is shorter than yours. I'm sure Flemming will be helped doing his V8 up grade due to your experience.
Thanks for setting me straight. Glad you're all here!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PEACE !! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
w
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Welcome to the board. With an auto the read shaft, of course will be real short. Anything is possible. The axles can survive with the V8. It depends on how active your gas foot is. The V8 and the stock T90 of the jeep can live together. I like the manual boxes for the jeep because it is a little easier to fix, for me at least. he quadra trac is good, but i like the simplicity of the original early jeep drivetrain, be it i am a bit biased.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
1946 CJ2A stock and loving it

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The B21 was an easy fit. Lots of space with the original Volvo 4 speed manual gearbox. Just needed an adapter between the Volvo gearbox and the original transfercase. I didn't do it but bought it that way. Works great.

I still want the lovely V8 sound in my "little" Jeep (read short).

My Jeep is a 1960 M38A1 with a Volvo B21 engine and a 4 speed manual gear. I want to swap in a V8 and a aut. gear - perhaps a Quadra-trac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode