304 to 401? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

304 to 401?

Ok, First off will a 401 bolt directly in a 76 CJ5 with a 304 and T-150's place without any mods? I ran across a great deal on a 78 Wagoneer that only has 32k original on it but the frame and body are shot. Excellent drivetrain! Would this be a worthwile conversion from the 304 as far as horsepower gains,etc. I know in 78 or round about is when they started using the undersize pistons,etc to keep vehicles emissions friendly. So I don't know if the 401 would be worth getting unless I built it from it's current stock form. I know my 76 304 is pushing 150 HP in it's stock form so any guesses on what the 78 401 would be pushing. I would just like to know the pros and cons of this swap before I go shelling out anymore greenbacks.

Bowlsie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 09:49 PM
Official Historian

Re: 304 to 401?

Yes, externally, the AMC V8's are the same. All your accessories will bolt to both engines, including the exhaust manifolds. I believe the wagoneer driver side manifold will exit too close to the firewall to use in the CJ.

Also, if the wagoneer had an auto trans, you'll need a flywheel.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 07:38 AM

The 401 will work fine in either stock or modified form. I believe they make about 210 hp stock, (but don't quote me) The biggest problem with building any of the AMC motors is $$$. You can build a comparable GM 350 for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of building an AMC. We built a 350 hp 360 for my last jeep and had almost $4000 in it when we got done, where as, I built my current 275 hp 350 for under $1500. I realize that I ended up spending about another $1000 to make the 350 fit my Jeep, but it's nice to know I can walk into any parts store and expect to find any part I need for it now. Just my $.02.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:21 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yea they will swap out exactly. I just helped a friend swap a 360 in place of his 401 in a wagoneer and we had no problems. I'd want the 401 over the 304 because there is no substitute for cubic inches.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode