Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Superior, or Dana/splicer ??? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/109659-superior-dana-splicer.html)

Olin18 02-28-2002 08:45 PM

Superior, or Dana/splicer ???

I tried to do a search on this but came up with nothing. I need to order new gears like yesterday, to make sure they get here on time. I wanted a set of Richmond gears in 4.88 but I can't find them anywhere. (drivetraindircet doen't have em)

I am planning on ordering a set of Superior R & P in the 4.88 tomorrow. My other option is a set of dana splicer. But Rosser has the Supers on sail. Are there any real outstanding differences in strength? Anyone running 4.88 supers in a d30/35 situation, I would love your input.

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"It takes a special type of person to drink a cup of coffee in a jeep"

gigolo 02-28-2002 09:26 PM

Re: Superior, or Dana/splicer ???

4.88's in a d35 sounds like trouble once you get that lift and some meats on.
My short experience:
Factory Dana/Spicer D35 munched after 1 year of 35" Swampers
Put in Superior Super 35, still going at exactly 1 year
In my situation the carrier cracked almost completely in two and the spider gears were smashed. I still have the factory 3.73 dana/spicer ring and pinion.

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

sas87yj 03-01-2002 06:03 AM

you being a mechanical engineer, maybe you will know more than i about this, but won't the pinion be getting pretty small in the 4.88 application on the small ring gears in the D30 and D35? the 35 will go first- not reverse cut and has the brunt of the work. i would think 4.56's would be plenty low for 33's. oh and maybe it was a type-o,i make many :)......it's SPICER

Olin18 03-01-2002 10:46 AM

It is true the pinion is pretty small with the d35 and 4.88 I have asked a lot of people (and I mean a lot) about if they think they will break. The final word came from the guy who is going to help me put them in. He said, yes they are small, but with a 2.5L you are not putting near the abuse on them as you would with the 4L. As long as these axles don't ever see more power they should work out just fine. I like the RPMs of the 4.88s (they will be the same as stock)

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"It takes a special type of person to drink a cup of coffee in a jeep"