difference betweenssb cb, and export radio - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

difference betweenssb cb, and export radio

check out this link
http://www.exportradios.com/prodpage...t_Selected=735

I ordered this, and now iM thinking about cancelling the order, because im not sure it does the sideband operation?

imjust plain iggnorant of this whole thing once it gets past 40 channels.

this radio has 15 bands of 40 channels covers a ridiculously wide range of frequencies, BUT does it do USB/LSB?

can anyone tell me?

its been exlained to me a few times, I understand sort of what sidebands are, but I dont understand the difference between alot of channels, and sidebands?

clear as mud.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:09 PM
Old Hand

Re: difference betweenssb cb, and export radio

from what i understand sideband channels are half steps from the normal channels, the radio that you are looking at is a standard 40 chan. CB. The differnced in an export radio and a non export is that in alot of other countries they allow all CB operators to use many more channels, so the radio had the capabilities to get to them, but here in the states the FCC only allows non licensed operators to use the normal 40 channels. That is how i understand it from talkin to people around here.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That one does not cover SSB bands. The 15 bands it has are 15 bands of 40 extra channels...So you have channels 1-40 that are on a regular CB. Then you press a button and you've got 1-40 again, up one jump in frequencies (so basically, like 41-80). Press it again, and you go up again (81-120). So on, with 7 bands above 40 and 7 bands below 1. SSB is generally on the regular CB bands--here's the difference in really simple terms (radio gurus--don't rip me a new one). Regular CB basically broadcasts on 3 'channels' in one broad swoop. A radio with single side band can do that, or you flip to SSB, either Upper or Lower sideband, and you only broadcast on 1/3 of the 'broader' channel that the regular CB talks on. So if you hear someone kinda squealing on a regular CB channel, they're probably talking on SSB. The extra frequencies are nice, but SSB is a bit more useful in day to day. I'd go for the best of both worlds...I personally run a Uniden Grant with 5 ranges of 40 channels and SSB.

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I figured that out FarmJeep, I cancelled the order for the cm-10

now If I can just find a ssb multiband radio of decent quality in teh same price range Ill be happy.

do you know anything about Titan radios?

what kind of range do you get sideband, VS AM40 ?

also, if you can here a ssb on the normal cb 40, then does the constant chatter of teh cb40 not make lsb/usb clutterede also?

Id love to have a grant, they are close to $200 around here.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 03:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ozark
What exactley are you after , what do you want it to do for you ? I`ve had my hand in radios before I could drive . Export radios are illegal first off , not that it would really matter , but they are . IF you have a good antenna on your rig(Wilson 1000 , Francis 8ft. whip) , with the 25 watts they put out , I`ve talked 50 miles ++ .With skip(F layer propagation Australia on the way home easily )
I would never use anything except SSB . You have no carrier on SSB like on AM . AM = 7 watts , SSB = 25 watts plus (Most exports)
Grant was a really good unit when they were made by Cobra , not sure now . I own a RCI Ranger 2950 , have had it for 10 years + now , great rig , covers everything from 26.000 MHz thru 32.000 MHz . IT has a VFO , can move all over the place as opposed to a channel switch . Ya you can hear the AMers on SSB but when you have one of these rigs you dont usually stay within the regular band anyways . More questions ? Give me a shout .

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

now you rin trouble Jeff,

check your email, im gonna bug the crap out of you about this.

WILL wont ever stay at my house long anymore becasue I drive him crazy with radio questions.

hehe thanks for the help!

OzarkJeep

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:34 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Oh man good luck dealin' with them... I've not done so personally but have seen some horror stories about 'em.

I personally run an RCI 2950DX. Does AM/FM/CW (morse code), LSB/USB and functions as a PA. It's a dual band amateur/HAM radio but can be converted to cover cb channels as well. This thing opens up from 24mhz to 32mhz.

I'm not *quite* a HAM yet so I only use the freebands (area above/below the 40 CB channels but not the HAM freq's)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Talks excellent skip. Expect to spend about $300 on one though. Doesn't drift much. Coincidentally I'll be tryin' for my HAM ticket sometime late this year or early next, so it's not like I'm not studying...

Oh it'll display frequencies as well as CB channels... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

AM uses a carrier and two bands one above and one below carrier. These bands have exactly the same info transmitted on them but opposite I believe. One is the negative of the other. Sidebands use no carrier wave and only one of those "sidebands". Uses the same frequencies as AM though. Extra channels are just extra spaces to talk.

FM modulates the frequency rather than amplitude of the waves like AM/SSB does. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Hope that helps some... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I like radios...

But yep good luck with EEI, many on a forum I'm on (World Wide Radio Forum) have had some bad experiences and definitely do *NOT* get the "turbo tune", as that's no good at all...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

The one and only 'Sandturnip'
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 07:46 PM
Official Historian

Ozark, I just don't know that much about CBs.

Sandman, good luck on your test.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-703817-IM000085.jpg (86.2 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey , love answering questions about radios [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
Shoot me an email , no problemo .
Here is my smaller base station right now .
RCI Ranger 2950 , MFJ-948 Ant. Tuner , Yaesu SP-6 speaker & Ham 4 Rotor . On the 60 ft. Delhi free standing tower is a 4 element MACO Yagi and a good old Antron 99 for local yapping . I also have a Henry 2K and other assorted "goodies" around the house . [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I know WILL, I was just baggin on ya.
I would like to check out your ham rigs though, what freq do they cover? ( Im gonn ago ahead and get the liscence too probably)

Jeepzilla,
I sent an email to teh address in your ORC profile.

I know what the 2950 and mike are, what are the other things?

that beam ant is the directional type right?

the antron 99 is an omni directional beast, is it a gain type?

Ive noticed the beam types typically have much gain (5 to 12 db) and the omni directionals dont have nearly as much.

do you have a mechanized rotor, or just go out and change until you find the area you want to cover?

thanks man!

you thought I was kidding about the amount of questions..haha

OzarkJeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode