How much should I ask for my 93 stock YJ axles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much should I ask for my 93 stock YJ axles?

I finally found the transfer case today that should work for me. The salvage yard wants $350 or trade even for my YJ axles I just removed. I thought the price on the transfer was a little steep. Its a GM np 241 with all the trimmings so I can make it work with a little welding a some duct tape.

So little time, So many trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 07:49 PM
sas87yj

Re: How much should I ask for my 93 stock YJ axles?

i assume the D30 and D35? what axles are you swapping in? i would think those 2 axles would be worth more than the transcase.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are just the stock axles. Not sure of the ratio. I put in axles from an 87 Wagoneer. I guess I should just buy the transfer case outright and sell the axles later. $350 seems awful steep for the transfer considering I paid $25 for the whole Wagoneer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 06:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Several years ago, my transmission decided to deny me the use of 2nd gear, and sometimes reverse, and being broke at the time, the only course of action I had was to get a used one at the junkyard. The guy on the phone quoted me a price of $400, which was way cheaper than rebuilding the old one. Imagine my surprise when I saw the tranny at the junkyard, and the transfercase was still attached to it!
Apparently the guy didn't know the two separated, so I bought it on the spot. That was about 3 years ago, and the combo is still running strong in my ride. $350 sounds pretty cheap to me, considering all the ads I see in catalogs ask for about a grand for a new one. But that's for an NP231.....

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:05 AM

around here, the smaller axles (less than 1/2 ton) go for around $100 complete and 1/2 ton and larger go for around $150 to $200. its all about how bad someone wants them. i wouldn't pay more than $100 each for them though...as a side note, i bought a front D30 out of a 2000 XJ (hi-pinion) for $125 with 600 miles on it. i thought i got a pretty good deal. matt

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I did my axle swap I sold my stock axles (with 4.10 gears) for $500 for the pair. I left everything on them including the steering linkage on the front. If they have 4.10 gears in them they are great for people with 6 cylinders that want lower gears and cant swap gears on there own (me included). $500 is cheap for a gear swap, plus then they have their old axles to use for spare shafts etc. I had mine sold in about a week.
Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:52 AM
Veteran

Up here the axles are probally worth 350 even though you might be getting a high price for the t-case. Anyhow I would just swap unless there is a bigger demand in your area. I put my axles in the paper for a couple months, both for 350 and never got a call. Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought!
Chrome don't get ya Home!
Go Big OR Go Home!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode