T-case/Transm. adapter plate surfaces - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

T-case/Transm. adapter plate surfaces

I am replacing the gasket between my t-case (Quadra-Trac) and my transmission (TH400) with RTV silicone gasket maker. However, the surfaces of the t-case and adapter plate are not a perfect match so it is not as simple as "run a bead around the outside edge." They both have recesses in them but the recesses don't match up. What are these recesses for and how should I apply the RTV around them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 08:30 PM
Official Historian

Re: T-case/Transm. adapter plate surfaces

I didn't use any RTV on mine. I used a gasket between the trans and the adapter. It is a standard TH400 gasket that any parts store carries. Between the adapter and transfer case, mine has an o-ring that seals it. Does yours not have the o-ring? BTW, welcome to the board, we need more q-trac supporters.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I didn't see an o-ring when I took them apart. What does the o-ring go around? There is a a rubber ring around the t-case input hole but it didn't seem to be removeable. Is this what you are talking about or does the ring go around the tranny output shaft? Also, my problem is with the adapter plate and the t-case, so would a standard TH400 gasket work (wouldn't that go between the tranny and the adapter plate)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:05 PM
Official Historian

Yeah, that rubber ring is what I was talking about between the transfer case and adapter. That's all that seals mine.

For the adapter to transmission, just get a TH400 gasket at a parts store. It will be the same for four wheel drive or two wheel drive. For the four wheel drive, it was used between the transmission and adapter, for the two wheel drive, it was between the transmission housing and the tail shaft housing. It's round with six bolt holes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode