Driveline combo - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Driveline combo

I've got a 360/727/300 and need a new tranny.

I know a guy with a 1980 SJ with 350/TH400/D300.

Can I use that tranny without any adapters, or would I need some crazy adapter to the motor? I'd rather not have to lenghten the driveline any more.

'96 ZJ with stuff
'82 CJ-7 with more stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Driveline combo

Assuming the 350, turbo 400 is a chevy you'll have to adapt it to your 360, I think the adapter ring only adds less than an inch but not sure. If it's the old Buick 350 TH400 from an ealy SJ it may be a different story, I don't know of any BOP pattern adapters to AMC but they may be out there or you may be able to get one made. Find that out first then contact Novak for the specifics

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Official Historian

Probably the easiest way would be to get a th400 that was used between the amc 360 and the quadratrac. Then, just swap the output shaft for the one that fits the transfer case you want to use. btw, That combination doesn't sound right. I don't think the TH400 was ever used with the dana 300, just the dana 20. If that dana 300 is behind a th400, it is probably an aftermarket adapter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:10 PM

The AMC TH400 version has a different bellhousing pattern than the GM TH400. All the internals are the same but they have different bolt patterns. The AMC TH400 never came in front of a Dana 300 from the factory so it is definitely an aftermarket adapter.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:13 AM

The th400 behind the 350 won't work without an adapter or swapping cases. I got a newly rebuilt th400 that was behind a 304. I'll let if go for $300 if your interested.

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Second question. I've been talking with some transmission shops about the TF6 (999). That would be the easiest swap as a direct bolt in, but most of the shops said there are limited aftermarket parts for this smaller tranny and to build it as strong as possible would still only be marginal for a V8.

So...what's stronger - TH400 or TF999?

'96 ZJ with stuff
'82 CJ-7 with more stuff
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 10:48 PM

The TH-400 is the stronger of the two but a TF-999 should hold up to a stock V8. Why can't you get another TF-727 or rebuild yours? The 727 is one of the strongest autoboxes you'll ever find in a passenger vehichle, and they came in TONS of Grand Wagoneers (every one from '80-91, actually)

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm trying to go around the "front driveshaft clearance" issue. I'm not in a position to go SOA right now, and even if I did I'd still have to worry about up-travel on the front/right tire.

'96 ZJ with stuff
'82 CJ-7 with more stuff
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got off the phone with AA. They said with the AMC TH400 I'd need a new output shaft and an adapter, all for $550. Bleh. That's a lot.

The adapter is 4.5", but the guy said the AMC TH400 should have an adapter on there already to bolt to the Quadra-trac case, so after removing that one to put on the new one the overall lenght shouldn't change much.

'96 ZJ with stuff
'82 CJ-7 with more stuff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 01:01 PM

Avoid the tf999 (i'm on my 2nd re-build) if you plan on wheeling hard they don't really like it, what ever auto you get move the vent line up as far as posable, and it usually has to be done with the trans out of the jeep so do it when you are putting the new one in.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode