Looking for a Carb Recommendation - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Looking for a Carb Recommendation

Hey,

I'm new to the 258, since I'm a Cherokee Guy. From what I can tell the BBD carb is the one of the worst idea's Jeep ever did (minus Torx blots).

Anyway I just wanted to get a recommendation for a good carb from you guys. I'm looking for something reliable, and tunable would be nice. Also I don't wannt spend a ton of money, so cheap would be good as well. Any help would be cool.

Thanks,

Todd

AOL AIM- Quikag57

Lostsa Mods, Little Time, oh well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:20 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Looking for a Carb Recommendation

The Motorcraft 2100/2150 is popular around here. There has been lots of talk about it and TiminMB has a good write up in the archives. I run a 500 cfm 2 barrel Holley on my and I like it. Of course you could scrap the carb idea and go fuel injection - that's my plan anyways.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:23 PM

Get the motor rebuilt and see if the carb needs work - I've seen the engine compartment, it looks like a bomb hit a Kuwaiti oil field!

PS - your carb seemed OK when I drove it. Better than my BBD!

Beer...liquid panty remover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I second the MC 2100/2150

I Jeep, therefore I am.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

listen AllLockedUP, just kidding, If I'm gonna get the WHOLE engine done, I want the WHOLE thing ya know. The carn seems OK yes, but I would rather Gunseth did the whole 9yrs right off the bat, rather than trouble shooting later. Call me at work.

How much did the Motorcraft run you guys, and is it tunable?

Thanks,

Todd

AOL AIM- Quikag57

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Allow me to dirty the waters a little. If you don't have it now, it won't be long before your jeep has to meet emissions standards..and one of them will be visual. If you replace the carb, it will most likely fail. I have tried other options myself, including the Weber. While the Weber ran better on mid to upper range, I got real fed up with it's low end behavior.

Overall, I prefer the BBD. Yes, the BBD takes a little more work to keep running right...but once you have it right, it works well. As AllLockedup noted, you don't want to replace the carb if you have other problems. If your engine is already worn out and your planning on an overhaul, then the carb is most likely not your problem and spending $$ on a new one will not yield any positive results.

One of the biggest problems with the BBD is vacuum leaks. Fix those first and then let us know what problems your having. I need someone's help on this next item, but I belive that if you still have the PCV solenoid, you can remove it also. But I have no doubt that you will need all your other vacuum problems fixed otherwise, you will have a lean miss at idle.

Good luck...

John...
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, R/ARB, F/Detroit, Onboard Air....89 Cherokee - New Project

They say we learn by our mistakes.....I guess thats why we are all so smart.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

As far as I can tell by playing, and tracing all the tubes around, all my lines are there. They all look new as well which makes me think that maybe someone messed up the install of the lines. I am running REALLY rich right now, and would like to get that to stop. Also there is smoke coming from my valve cover into the air cleaner housing. What the hell does that mean?

Todd

AOL AIM- Quikag57

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:28 PM

It means you either have worn valves/guides, or the rings are shot.

Beer...liquid panty remover
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As AllLockeUp said, either bad valves/guides and/or rings. How many miles? However, the PCV should be pulling all of that into the intake. Pull your PCV off the valve cover and see if it's pulling vacuum. Note, if you have the PCV solenoid, then you will need to run the RPM's up to about 1200 to get it to de-energize and let vacuum through...or you can just unplug the electrical wires.

In either case, this is not causing you to run rich. It may be time for a carb rebuild. Also, make sure your float level is correct.

John...
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, R/ARB, F/Detroit, Onboard Air....89 Cherokee - New Project

They say we learn by our mistakes.....I guess thats why we are all so smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode