Excessive Fuel Consumption. $40 in 7 days. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Excessive Fuel Consumption. $40 in 7 days.

OKie, normally I get a month out of a filled tank, I know lately I have been driving more, but not 4X as much in 7 days.

Here I go.
Suspected tank leak, Checked, no liquids anywhere near/around tank.
Suspected gague error. Just filled the tank, 1/4 full to top $40.. thats a little more then usual, so I think the gague is a little off, in favor of the gas pump, not me. (Less gas then the gague says.)
Suspected fuel line leak. Checked it, no visible leak or spurting... could be a drip, but I didn't see one.

Checked under the hood, all the connections everything, looked good.

Checked exhaust. Nice Gurgling sound.. smelt kind of gassy..
Tuned carb. Smelt more gas. Tuned again, gas smell gone, got high off fumes. Feeling dissy.

Noticed the exhaust making a "Pop" sound.. very subtle, can't hear it over the gurgling unless you get real close, then you can hear it. It's not in time with the gurgling, it just pops, probably 45-55 times a min. Very light pop, doesn't seem to change the airflow. (Gurgle controls the airflow in a rythmic beating.)

I don't have any sensor equipt, and I don't own a emmissions testing place so I couldn't tell you whats going on in that respect.

I don't have a catylitic converter or resonater.
Exhaust is new.. ur.. as new as they get.

Running a MC2100.

Emmissions gear is all gone.

It didn't run for a long while, I was busy with the bumper. I did weld with the battery connected, but it didn't seem to hurt it.

It is really cold here, but it was cold before it started drinking my gas.

What I noticed is that I would park it with 1/4 of a tank, start it, have 1/8 of a tank, that would move up to 3/16 of a tank. Get it?

Oh, and Mr. Odometer and figuring out MPG? Ya, previous owner broke the little thing you push in. so that doesn't work either.

This thing is starting to drain my wallet, everything which was previously being saved or spared on my next paycheck will be going to pay off the credit card gas spendings if it continues to drink it at this rate.

ANY AND ALL HELP is APPRECIATED.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 06:37 AM
sas87yj

Re: Excessive Fuel Consumption. $40 in 7 days.

you'd smell gas bigtime if you had a leak.
can't you use the odometer to check mileage? you don't need the trip gauge right? just write down the mileage when you fill up.

sounds like your fuel gauge is a little goofey but most are.

you could check the timing but if it's running good i wouldn't mess with it. you could be running too rich but shouldn't suck gas enough to notice.

dump the mc2100 and get a carter

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Good idea on the Odometer.. thnx.

as for the Carter..

It got BFH'd right before I gave it back to NAPA as a core fee.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 10:07 AM

I think LEVE mentioned one time that one of the return lines run in to a carbon canister. maybe its going in there and evaporating? maybe a return line is letting it escape as vapor?
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have a locking gas cap? You can't find a leak and after you park it there is less gas when you return, sounds like you might be unknowingly helping some one else get better gas mileage.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:36 AM
Little_W

Lets see C$40.00/7days = US$10.00/7days. Pretty good mileage, I call it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Seriousluy, my mileage drops every winter, toou. I warm up it up longer, it slides around on the snow and iceu, I leave it running when i get a coffee, etc. I keep a mileageu book and find the winter mileage is1 to 5 mpg down from sumumueur use, and the drop depends on houw cold it gets.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
The trip odometeru—if any of the shaft is left a piece of shrink tubing that fits over that stub will make the connection, fill the rest of the tuubing with a tuuth pick, heat it with a hair dryer and it should work.
(Hope all the U's are used correctly, I don't have an Oxfurd Dictiunary — yet.)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Thought ~~~~ is someone stealing your gas? For awhile we had a big problem with that here!(caution this is a no extra U zone)
PEACE !! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
w
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:42 AM

Hows it running? The little pop from the exhaust is likely a miss at idle. Is the power still the same? Put in some fresh spark plugs then pull them immediately after a cruise and check the colour. that will tell you if it's running too rich for some reason. If it's suddenly too rich, suspect float, needle and seat. You can idle it with the cover off th ecarb and see how high the fuel level gets. Or idle it then quiickly pul the cover. Just be carefull.

Also the power valve can leak excessive fuel into the main circuit if it's damaged. A lot of idling in cold weather and long warmup is hard on gas milleage. I got 17mpg on my MC2100 cruising in the summer part city part highway. That's exactly the smae as I got on the same run with the carter.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 12:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

Heck, I can burn up $40 in gas in my Suburban in a day [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sounds like someone is borrowing your gas.

<font color=purple>pbm</font color=purple>
<font color=red>There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!</font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:32 PM

If the oil smells like gas, it's probably a needle and seat valve gave up or has something stuck in it.

If it doesn't smell like oil, it's probably a power valve given up.
Power valves will KILL milage, but still leave the vehicle drivable.

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.

I haven't been letting it warm at idle, but I have been leaving it running a whole lot more.
I just didn't think it was running 4X as much.

As for the charcoal canister.. is none, previous owner removed it. Gas goes down some place through a tube and under the jeep.
My best guess is it vents straight out onto the road...

The carb was brand new factory rebuild a month or two ago. I suppose it could be the power vavle, but I don't think so.

I have noticed a better idle actually. Acceleration is good, and the idle is 1000 when cold with the choke out, and 700 warm choke in. It sticks pretty damn good and I've been pleased with the idle.

I don't see how the oil could have gas in it? I'll have to check. Anyone tell me how?

I filled it again last night.. and I'm going to watch it closely and not drive it like I stole it.
I just turned the idle down to about 500, but I'll likely put it back to 700 as I keep thinking it's stalling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode