Rocker guard body prep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
BMB
Veteran

Rocker guard body prep

I know this has been talked about a little before, but I was just wondering what most of you did to prepare your rocker panels before mounting your guards to prevent rust buildup between them and the body. I think I will most likely scuff and coat the body with Herculiner or similiar where the guards will contact the body and maybe put a bead of silicon on the top edge. At the time the plan calls for a 4x4" angle iron style of guard. Any ideas, suggestions.

BMB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rocker guard body prep

Although I don't personally have any rocker guards, I've heard of people using silicone sealant around the edges so moisture doesn't get between the two. I just let a volunteer lay down on top of the offending boulder to absorb the damage my Jeep would have taken instead. Then I use the RTV in my bathtub.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:04 AM

A buddy of mine just did this same thing, he just made sure his paint was in good shape on the area to be covered then used a strip of double stick foam tape on each edge touching the body.
good luck
tony

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 01:04 AM

A buddy of mine just did this same thing, he just made sure his paint was in good shape on the area to be covered then used a strip of double stick foam tape on each edge touching the body.
good luck
tony

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just made sure that the paint was in good shape and then sealed up the edges with ckear silicone.
I have read here were some of the guys have put herculiner on first but I didn't.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is how is was laid out to me.

If you seal it with silicon you better make sure that it is sealed all the way around, and then you take a chance. If you seal it on the top only, water can come from up under the bottom and make a rust mess. If it doesn't seal all the way around then you run a chance of the same thing happening, just in a slower fashion. The other thing you can worry about is condensation buildup.

With Herculiner, Durabac, Rhinoliner, or POR15...they bond to the metal and create a sealed surface that water cannot penatrate. Thus no rust here.

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 06:39 AM
sas87yj

move to the DESERT and then you don't have to worry about it. i just painted the 4x4 and done with it. RUST? what's that?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I did mine I cleaned up the rockers, sanded them lightly and laid down a couple of coats of hammerite before bolting the angle on which was also well painted with hammerite. I sealed the top edge with silicon ot keep water from running down between the angle and the body but left the bottom open so any water that does get in can run out.

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode