Baby Swampers?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Baby Swampers??????

I've got a line on 29x8.5" super swamper TSL's with about 40-50% tread left on them and the guy wants $100 for the set. Think this is a good deal? Are they as agressive and as good of a tire as their larger brothers? I'm thinking i'll keep my 30" bfg's and get a second set of wheels (anybody got some old steelies around chicago?) so i can use them pretty much as a wheeling tire and pop them on when i get to the wheeling spot and then throw them back in the jeep for the ride home (keep the wear down). Anybody ever use these tires and did you like them. I know they will ride like sh!t, get flat spots, and make a ton of noise but i really don't care about that. I'm pretty broke right now but i think i can scrape together $100 dollars (some durg thug stole $30 out of my wallet yesterday during gym class that would have gone to the swamper fund, but i think i can scrape it together) but i'm thinking this is the way to go, they are probably about the size of my bfg's so they won't rub and i will still have one of the best wheeling tires.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:34 PM
sas87yj

Re: Baby Swampers??????

damn, you must have a lot of energy and time. i can't imagine swapping tires every time i went wheelin. spend the $100 on some good weed and a 5th of jack- lot less work and more fun

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Forget the weed and jack. Go out and get yourself a couple cases of beer!

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"It takes a special type of person to drink a cup of coffee in a jeep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Switching tires is what i'll have to do because my bfg's are in almost new and i want more traction wheeling but can't really get rid of them, also my parents probably don't want me getting them (they will be stored at a friend's house) so i can't use them every day. Next things planed is a locker, cage, gas tank skid plate, new front bumper and engine skid and i wasn't planning on tires but these came into my lap. Anybody actually see them on the trail?

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 03:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My buddy had them on his truck and they are tiny tires. They seemed to work and ride just like there big brothers though just without the clerance.

Jon
84 Toy,72 CJ5,91 RM125
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:12 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I owned a set once, they are great little tires. Mine were like new and had a boatload of tread, so they dug like rototillers. I wound up selling them for $250 (for all 5 on rims) and bought a set of 5 new siped 32x9.5 Swampers and love them. Nothing at all wrong with the 29's, a lot of guys on the Zuki board are running them and really like them. IMHO, nothing beats a Swamper (for the New England Wheeling anyway). Give Zukinut a shout, he bought them from me, and ask over there because I know a few others running them.

For $100, you can't go wrong. I had mine on a set of 5.5" wide Zuki rims, but the bolt pattern is wrong for an XJ.

Here is a pic of the 29's, 32's, and 33's in a row.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:11 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

So do you expect to carry around 4 30" BFG tires on rims in the back of your Jeep while you wheel??? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Pete

88YJ, 90 Honda CRX, 79 F250 4WD, 70 Jaguar E-type, car trailer, camper, sailboat... Toys.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good point, thats what I was gonna ask, (about carrying tires around) its not like swampers are gonna wear THAT bad, and it is a Jeep, so whats a little road noise anyway(okay ALOT of road noise[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 05:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

If it's close enough for me to drive them to a trail, then I do. If it's not, then I leave them with the tow vehicle or chained to a tree. Not really a problem either way.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

I can usually stash them at the trail head when i get there and to go wheeling around here there's the local mud hole which is 15 min away or the other closest wheeling spots are an hour on the express way or 3 hours so that would be a fair amount of ware on the tires, maybe i will change them at my house but i don't want to wear them down quickly.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode