Tun signal indicator problem! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Tun signal indicator problem!

occasionaly when I step on the brake pedal in my 97 tj the left turn signal and left turn dash indicator light comes on, they don't flash they are constant. It doesn't really hurt anything other than it is irratating. Any suggestions? The dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it when it was still under warranty,so now I'm stuck with trying to find the solution.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Tun signal indicator problem!

I believe you'll find that problem to be in the turn signal switch in the column. The switch either connects the rear lights to the feed from the brake switch or connects the front, rear and dash indicators to the flasher feed. Yours has managed to connect the brake feed to the dash indicators and front lights. It could also be in the associated connector at the base of the column or the harness.

NEVER accept a dealership telling you that something can't be fixed while you're under warranty. Just say ok and then ask him to go out on the lot and help pick you out a new one since yours can't be fixed.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 01:10 PM
Sully

My Jeepchick has a 1998 TJ and it does the same thing... it also has an annoying tendency that when you hit a big enough bump, all the instrument cluster will power out until you knock the dash with a good slap - the dealership told us that the connector on the back of the dash console was misformed, and did not seat correctly - when I asked why a recall or TSB had not been issued he shrugged and told me that 'most don't have a problem' and well the arguement just got worse after that... but back to your original question, it appears as though the contacts get crossed - if you manually center the turn signal lever you'll see the light go off - don't know what to tell you except you're not alone with the problem.

Sully '84 CJ7 Laredo 258/HEI/Weber

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 03:19 PM

Furthermore, when you report a problem under warranty it's ALWAYS under warranty until it's fixed, per federal law. Go back to the dealership and demand that it be fixed under warranty. Assuming you have a record. It should be written up on a service form.

I might have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:57 PM

Another vote for the turn signal switch. If it's under warranty, take it back to the dealership and demand that they replace it. The were probably just too lazy to take the collumn apart to change it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:08 PM
Can't Get Enough

Make sure all of your brake lights work first. This will happen to notify you if you have a stop lamp failure. If this is not the case, snap the 4 way flasher back and forth a few times. This will sometimes happen if the 4 way lever is not fully off. The turn signal combination switch is a very high failure item on TJ's. They are very easy to change without pulling the wheel off, just the plastic cover and 2 screws. 10 minute job.

Sully, there is a tsb for the air bag light and gauges becoming intermittent. They should have checked tsb's in the mds machine.and ordered a longer right side connector and repaired it for you.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 12:20 PM

I have a buddy with a 97 TJ, and he has the same problem wqith the entire dash going out for periods of time.. The good thing about it is it apparently doesn't register the miles put on it while out.. Haven't heard of the left blinker problem though...

CarbonCopy

83 CJ7 / 77 AMC 304 / 3" Body Lift / Work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode