Seating - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Seating

How do you tall guys fit in your CJ5's? I am 6'4 and I fit,but I just wish I had a little more legroom. The high back bucket seats I have are "Qualitex" and I can't move them back anymore they are pushed up against the fenderwell back there. I was thinking of getting some bucket seats, the backs of them lay back a tad don't they? I mean they don't make you sit STRAIGHT up? Also do any of ya'll have them and can tell me the length from the front of the seat to the back, on the bottom, so i can see how much I will have up front as far as room goes. If this isn't it what do ya'll others do for seating? THanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 02:00 PM
Cerrals

Re: Seating

As you can tell by the lack of response, there is no known cure. I'm 6'4 as well and I was so tired of whacking my kneecaps on the dash and staring at the top of the windshield frame that I eventually gave up and traded my CJ-5 in for a CJ-7. I had a couple ideas, just not enough energy; cut the front part of the fender well off and weld in a plate at a lesser angle, and or cutting the dash away on both sides of the steering column but then you have to reinforce the area since it supports the column. Or find someone really good with a welder and metalwork to fab a new dash that sinks in 3 or 4". Good luck, I hope you can make it work, I still miss my CJ-5.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 03:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm using some old Firebird seats ('81). The seats are bolted directly to the horizontal mounting brackets (non-adjustable). They are mounted as far back as the tub allows and I still don't have leg room (I'm 6'3"). Since they are mounted directly, I sit lower in the Jeep and can therefore see through the windshield instead of the frame. I'm planning on lengthening my wheelbase, so I just planned on modifying the fronts of the rear fender wells to allow some leg room. If you're keeping your wheelbase stock, then I'm not sure what else you could do to gain some leg room... Bret

Don't ever forget 9-11-01 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 03:53 PM

The high and upright seating in jeeps is kinda funny. My GF is short and she can't drive it as she cant push the clutch in all the way. Me, I find I hit my head on the hardtop sometimes when sliding out off the seat. You can't elevate your butt one eye-ota (sp?) when exiting, or else your head hits something. Oh the joys that go with ownership of this unique machine. I'm thinking of making the seat mounts part of hte cage and lowering them an inch at that time. They are plenty high enough as is.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

i am thinking of cuttin those fenderwells at the front and welding back metal maybe 3" back if i can. anyone know how muc room is back there for me to cut? i fit, and its not a crammed fit but i'd like more room. those horizontal mounting brackets suck i guess i'll adjust but mine is a CJ5 so i have fun getting in and out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Official Historian

anyone know how muc room is back there for me to cut?
-------------------------------------------------------

If it's lifted, you will have a lot of room. The tire will move up and back so to be conservative, you could figure out how much vertical room you tire has and radius your wheelhouses to that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode