Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Painless Wiring... (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/109400-painless-wiring.html)

JeepJunkie78CJ 02-27-2002 06:55 AM

Painless Wiring...

Has anyone out there replaced their wiring in their CJ? I've got brake light problems, instrument lights that don't work, and a radio that pops ocasionally...

I've looked at the wiring under the dash, and It has bare wire all over the place. So, I'm going to undertake replacing it.

Rosser sells a Painless wiring kit. I'm pretty good at understanding electrical stuff, so I think with a kit, I can tackle it.

I was wondering If anyone has used the Painless wiring kit, or If they know of a better kit to use. And, Also, does this kit require splicing or is it pre-fitted at the ends for instruments, ignition, brakes, etc...

It's a Jeep Thing! Get One, You'll figure it out! :)

Bald_One 02-27-2002 07:38 AM

Re: Painless Wiring...

I haven't actually used the painless kits (I made my own for my jeep) but they look like they would be awesome and easy to deal with. They offer a couple of different kits if I remember right, some that are mostly pre-terminated and some that require you to cut and terminate all the wires yourself. Your best bet is probably to call painless directly and see if they offer what you want. Personally I don't think that there is another manufacturer out there that can compete with Painless. We've used some of their accessory items and they've been wonderful.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!

Swede 02-27-2002 10:01 AM

I just put in a Centech kit from 4WD into my 80 CJ-7 because I had lost my tail lights, turn signals, back up lights, and my fan due to bad insulation. I got the kit that was preterminated except for the tail lights which you had to install a YJ style plug to the lights pig tail and a couple of other splices. The kit was easy to install but it did take me 15 hours to get it all up and working.

My kit has a open in the guage cluster curcuit which according to Centech is a pin not seated in a connector which I haven't located yet so I used a spare connection on the fuse board to run a jumper which has the guages working. I'll check the connector when it gets a little warmer around here. There are several spare fuse connectors to add additional curcuits for what ever you care to run.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
89 YJ
94 Grand Cherokee

CJ7Taz 02-27-2002 10:27 AM

Here is another option. It's for a '79 but shouldn't be much different. If you miss this one, they show up pretty regularly. I've got one in the basement that I bought on ebay a few years back for just in case.

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...74283-SIG1.jpg
I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.

RedSandDog 02-27-2002 10:55 AM

Something you might want to check first, is to make sure that the body, chassis and engine are all grounded together. I relpaced all my grounding cables and got back my some of my running lights and my gas gauge.

**DONOTDELETE** 02-27-2002 12:01 PM

I've used the painless kit, I wasn't impressed. This was a couple years ago so maybe things have changed but there were no terminations, some lugs were provided but it certainly wasn't a plug in type arrangement, I used the factor manual's diagram and the "instructions" from painless and it took me about a weekend to do the dash and engine compartment. I have electrical experience, I did my CJ5 from scratch and spent 6 years in the navy as an electrician. Maybe they're better now I don't know and certainly they provided a nice fuse block and plenty of wire, just not as straight forward as I was led to believe.

Now if your CJ is a late 70s, I have a complete harness from a 78 I could part with.

sevensandeights 02-27-2002 01:13 PM

I put a pre-terminated Painless in my Scrambler this past summer during my rebuild. The kit was great and everything matched up perfectly. I can't really give you an estimate of how hard it was to put in or how long it took because my jeep was completely disassembled at the time and made things a little easier. If you do go this route, check with No Excuses Jeep parts (in NJ). They are on-line and were much cheaper than anybody else for this product. Good luck!

wades_76_CJ7 02-27-2002 03:10 PM

If you want the Painless pre-terminated check out Summit Racing. They have it listed for Jeeps for $352 everyday! About 75-90 bucks cheaper than Rosser and 4WD. Don't get me wrong I buy from both of those places but $75!!

76 CJ, well what is left of it! working on my YJ-7. YJ frame, YJ tub, 2" BDS SOA 3/4 ton D44 F and 14FF rear

jeepfreak1 02-27-2002 05:03 PM

Did the kit contain individual grounds,for use with a fiberglass body?

<font color=green> JF1 </font color=green>
http://www.hrja.org