Jeep Tj Probs ????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:26 AM
edmund74

Jeep Tj Probs ?????

I currently own a 97' TJ SE. It has a 4" superlift suspension and 33" BF AT's. Here's my prob:

One night about three weeks ago, I was mud ridding. I wound up bogging my jeep down in some water and it cut off. In a panic I tried to start it again but nothing happened (and I was the stupid one for that) after pulling her out she would not even turn over. I tried to jump it but nothing, I even tried to clutch start it but the tires only slid across the ground. I finally got it started by manually turning the engine over with a wench. I knew I got water in the engine b/c I could see the milky white oil. I changed the oil and oil filter until the oil was normal and replaced the spark plugs, distributor and rotor. The problem is that when I drive at a constant speed the engine hesitates and jumps back and forth like itís missing very bad. The only time it doesnít do this is when Iím either accelerating a lot or not on the accelerator at all. I cannot figure out what is wrong and any info would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Official Historian

Re: Jeep Tj Probs ?????

Just a tip if it happens again to you or anyone. If you can't turn over the engine because of water in the engine, don't force it. Remove the spark plugs and then turn it over to pump the water out. I've had two friends that had this happen to them. One was fortunate and it died quickly from low rpm and was able to pull the spark plugs, pump out the water and it started back up. Another ended up rebuilding his engine due to bent parts.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recall this happening to me way back when I first started wheeling. Check Engine light on?

I had to get a sensor replaced. Maybe the throttle position sensor or something. I forget.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:42 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep, that's the item, the Throttle Position Sensor. Ours died when the wife was puddle jumping and hit a 12" culvert at 30 mph (but she never got any water in the engine). It had the same symptoms you are describing.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:48 PM

I had similiar symptoms on my 93 YJ when the map sensor blew up, due to the installation of a jet chip. You may also want to consider changing all of your fluids incuding the pumpkins and the x-fer.

1987 Samurai JX
2002 Wrangler TJ
I'd sleep in my rigs all night before I'd let a Ford/Chevy Pull me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode