technique question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:20 AM
tdog90yj

technique question

Ok so heres the situation; your the leader up the hill, Very steep, nearing the top you stall out what do you do. Here is a pic that illustrates kind of what i mean. If you look under the lic plate, youll see the gas leaking out due to angle. I took this from my clubs web site, as an illustration. Its not me. But I was just curious as to what you guys would do in this situation

Travis
Lots of goodies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-700515-illustration.jpg (33.2 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:27 AM

Re: technique question

If it's a manual trans, while the engines off, put it in the lowest gear, let out the clutch and turn the starter till the engine fires back up(double footing the brake and the gas peddles).

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:46 AM

1) Get those wheels straightened out!!! Get the Jeep perpendicular to the fall-line of the hill. If the angle is bad enough for gas to spill out like that (also look into a better cap or getting it put on better), then it's steep enough to induce a roll if you go too far forward or back.

2) Personally, if I couldn't 3 foot it (hand throttles are nice), I would just drop it into 1st and use the starter to move over the crest, or get it started whichever comes first. BTW this isn't for everybody, I have a 97:1 crawl, HD starter and dual batteries.

3) If not able to get some reliable sort of forward motion from the Jeep in question, I would look at the following in order:
A) Strap from vehicle on top already (assuming forward progress is imperative).
B) Winch from vehicle, either self recovery or from top (assuming forward progress is imperative).
C) Depending on what it looks like behind the stuck guy, have him back down (preferably under power so you can use engine braking) and try it again. This time, keep the engine wound up with high RPM's and as much forward momentum as is feasible for the situation.
D) Looks wide enough to get vehicle around him to the top for strap or winch. Is there an FI engine in the house?

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:06 AM
utahjeepr

Like the others have said. Get the wheels pointed uphill and either start it and drive it up or use the starter if the engine won't fire. This is a semi dangerous position to be in. Asthe Jeep sits now it should be stable but it doesn't take much of an error to roll or otherwise turn the situation ugly.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What the He!! was he going up the hill at an angle like that anyway???

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 04:19 PM

did he spin into that 45 degree angle while climbing? I had that happen to me once while climbing a snow covered hill side. Friends up top said a wheel was coming off the ground as I turned. Scary stuff. Definately stop wheelspin once it start to turn or else you may get out of control and roll it. I'd say for the guy in the picture, it's time to back it down to a straight position.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought the whole point of FI rigs on the trail was no more stalling out on grades. As far as gas pouring out of the filler cap, if the gas could leak out like that, how did the fuel pump get enough pressure in the tank for the Jeep to even drive to the trail?

Straighten the Jeep out! There seems to be plenty of room in the pictured scenerio for another rig to get by him and get to the top. At that point the first guy up could pull him up and then they could try to start it again. If there were no room for another rig to get by, I would likely jack the back end up to level the Jeep out enough to get here running again. Dig around and find some stones or logs to sit the rear wheels on and give the stupid pedal no mercy to keep her running while I shot up the rest of the hill.

http://nanaimosidewinders.rockcrawler.com/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the hill was steep enough to stall on/risk rolling on, Its hard enough sometimes just to get out of the jeep, let alone attempting to jack the rear end up?? surely this isnt what you meant. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Official Historian

As far as gas pouring out of the filler cap, if the gas could leak out like that, how did the fuel pump get enough pressure in the tank for the Jeep to even drive to the trail?
---------------------------------------------

The pump is what pushes the fuel to the engine, not the tank being pressurzied.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:08 PM

Would it be appropriate in a situation like that to slowly let it roll back down and try to straighten it up? That was my first thought, but no one mentioned it. Something I'd like to know, though, in case I ever get myself into something like that.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode