Off Roading Forums banner

I bought a 02 TJ

773 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  JEEPN 
#1 ·
After a few years away from Jeeps I finally convinced my wife to buy a jeep. We bought an 02 TJ w/X package, straight 6. So it's a daily w/ very mild trail use I wanna slap some 31 11.5s on, and some 2" coil sprig spacers. Anyone done this and still got to use their warranty? Thats my main concern, I don't want it voided.

Well it didn't look THAT deep! Hold on I'll tow you out I'll get my jeep only strap.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
It is my understanding that it is the dealers problem to prove your mods caused the problem. So if you put on big tires and your radio craps out they cant deny your warranty. Conversly if you put on a Long arm kit dont think about getting your suspension warrantied. Its not their equipment any more. Make sense, and Never let those dealers push you around. They will try to tell you its not warrantied tell them to prove it. Hope I helped
enjoy the new jeep

Travis
Lots of goodies!

#3 ·
Ive have 31's on my 01 tj and have had it in for warranty work, dont know bout the coil spacers. The only problem i had was not cleaning it well enough, the service writer at the local dealer tried to blame the bad parts on dirt.

#4 ·
Bad parts on dirt huh thats a good one espically from a company that has built a reputation on it's off road prowess. Anything you TJ owners noticed that failed during your warranty that I should look out for? Common Problems?

Thanks alot
Shawn

Well it didn't look THAT deep! Hold on I'll tow you out I'll get my jeep only strap.

G
#6 ·
I have a '00 TJ. I put 32" and the coil spacers on it. It didn't void out the warranty. If I put a full suspension lift on it, then it would be voided.
Problems... the only thing I have had to complain about is that when it is in neutral and the clutch is out, there is a loud rattling sound. Took it to the shop and they said that since another TJ they tested did it to, it must be normal.
Other than that, she handles great!

#10 ·
The tubelar headder is gone, now it uses a dual outlet cast manifold that dosn't crack or leak. There is also a tsb for a torque bushing at the tranny mount that is suppose to help stop the transfer of noise with clutch out in neutral. I dosn't stop the noise, just makes it less noticable by not transfering it to the body. I don't think the spacers will void much of the warrenty except possibly the shocks, which should also be changed for the lift.

#11 ·
Hey, welcome to the DARK SIDE!

Great group over here, ask anything you'd like.

Why 31x11.5? The common size is 31x10.5, and they fit without any lift at all, we have been running them for 5 years and about 90,000 miles (original 30" tires were ripped off and thrown away at 15,000 miles).

We got the ABS with ours (works awesome, but seems to not work off-road at slow speeds, which is good) and cannot modify our TJ's suspension due to state regs. We have wheeled it hard with the 31's on it, and quite frankly I've been amazed at where it'd go. Add a set of front disconnects, some tow hooks (not sure of what the "X" package is), take the doors off, and wheel it to your liking.

We have had it back a few times for warranty work (rear axle, header, radiator, Cat, exhaust, TPI, radio), and they looked at it funny but never gave us a hassle with the 31's. The top side looks mint (until a few years ago), but the underside looks like you took a sledgehammer to it, all the bolts are rounded off.

Here are a few pics. The interior is pretty well protected against water, but the cassette isn't. The soft doors in the pic are converted CJ soft doors I picked up on Ebay for $65.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#13 ·
Re: Warranty Issues

Thanks alot for the respones, I just can't see how the spacers would void the warranty on anything except maybe the coils, and the shocks. I was thinkin of going with 31 11.5's because I spend alot of time in the sand and the wider the better out there for flotation purposes. I ended up getting a 02 TJ w/ the 2.5 liter 4 banger, the dealer w/ the 4.0 wouldn't come down enough. It feels like it is pretty low geared don't most of the 4 bangers come with 4.10's?

1987 Samurai JX
2002 Wrangler TJ
I'd sleep in my rigs all night before I'd let a Ford/Chevy Pull me out.

G
#15 ·

I guess it helps to be friends with the owners of the Jeep dealership cause when I bought my TJ in 2000 one of the questions I asked is if the warranty would be voided by adding a suspension lift and tires. They said it wouldnt. I only had to test that theory once though when my rear main seal started leaking. They fixed it no questions asked.

I'm a Dapper Dan man!!

G
#16 ·

Thanks alot for all of your responses, I am really fighting the urge to buy a 4" lift and throw 33's on it, my main concern was the warranty, but it sounds like unless it is something they can link directly to the lift they can't void it. Oh yeah and I changed my name to Shawn_C instead of Samurai202 since I run a TJ and a Samurai.

#17 ·

No problem with your previous name, I go by JEEPN on the Zuk BBS as well, and while people gave me a little crap when I came over, they certainly don't anymore. No one will give you crap over here for having a Samurai name.

Different dealerships treat the warranties differently, there is no disputing that. I'd look into what YOUR local dealership will let you get away with. I had a warranty issue up here with the stock TJ, and went to 3 dealerships before one of them would fix the problem.

The basic fact remains, they don't HAVE to fix your jeep and will try anything to get the money out of you and not Chrysler. When in doubt, they'll say "NO" rather than loose money. Definitely check into it.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.