Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Tranny maintenance (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/109340-tranny-maintenance.html)

86CJ7 02-26-2002 08:58 PM

Tranny maintenance

I have my engine out to be rebuilt. Should I do any maintenance to my T5 tranny. If so what?

Bald_One 02-26-2002 09:19 PM

Re: Tranny maintenance

Personally I'd just do preventive stuff, lke changing the fluid and maybe put a new clutch and throw-out bearing in while you have them separated (saves taking the trans out again soon.) otherwise, there really shouldn't be much that needs done, unless you were experiecing a problem with it before. Just my $.02.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!

86CJ7 02-26-2002 09:50 PM

So gear oil in the tranny and dana300. How much does each each hold? Who makes a good clutch? Centerforce? What brand bearing?

WILL 02-26-2002 10:47 PM

80w-90 in the dana 300 but I believe the t5 uses ATF.

Bald_One 02-26-2002 10:55 PM

I've had good exeriece with Centerforce clutches, but they tend to be a bit pricey. Some of the more expensive aftermarket ones you get from your local Advance Auto Parts store tend to hold up as well too (If you're not normally real hard on a clutch). As far as the bearing goes, if you buy a clutch kit, it should have everything in it (disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing/bushing, and alignment tool all in one box) I know the ones we usually install at work come that way, but darned if I can remember the Brand name right now... *Yawn* Hope that helps a little at least, though.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!

lumpy85 02-27-2002 04:26 AM

How many miles were on the t-5? It might not be a bad idea to have it looked at I think the front bearings go out on those tranny's. they are cheap but they have to be put on by a transmission shop. I went thru the trouble of putting a fresh motor in my jeep and thought the flywheel just needed to be turned but it turns out the input shaft is moving and causing my new clutch to chatter just like the old one. Does the input shaft wiggle inside the bearing retainer?????????????

85 CJ7 4inches 33ssr's infinite projects