best brand gears? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

best brand gears?

I am changing to 4.56 gears, and was going to go with the dana spicer, but I have heard that Richmond Gear and Yukon Gear is good. Does anyone have any thoughts on what are the best gears to get, and is there really a difference between those 3? Thanks

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] mnt [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: best brand gears?

I don't think there is really a big difference. I have ran both Spicer and Genuin Gear with no problems. What is more important is proper setup. I have done it, but I think my time is better spent writing software to pay for someone else to do it...it's a lot of work doing gears....well worth the $200/axle.

John...
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, R/ARB, F/Detroit, Onboard Air....89 Cherokee - New Project

They say we learn by our mistakes.....I guess thats why we are all so smart.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Veteran

Yeah I would go with spicer and have someone that knows what they are doing put them in. If they are put in right then they will last a long time. Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought!
Chrome don't get ya Home!
Go Big OR Go Home!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 02:36 PM

The local shop here in KC. will only use Spicer gears. He said he will use Superior if her can't get what he wants in a Spicer Gear. It isn't much more for the Spicer brand and they can't be too bad. The Big Three all use them as OEM parts!

76 CJ, well what is left of it! working on my YJ-7. YJ frame, YJ tub, 2" BDS SOA 3/4 ton D44 F and 14FF rear
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 04:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am going through the same thing right now, looking for gears. I talked to the guy that is going to put them in for me, he told me flat out that he likes Richmond gears. And that is what I want to go with, he told me that I needed to get them. I have looked for a wile today to find a place, couldn't. Anyone know where I can get a set of Richmond gears. Any imput would be great.

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !
"It takes a special type of person to drink a cup of coffee in a jeep"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 04:19 PM
JeepJunkie78CJ

I just finished a rebuild a couple of months ago on front and rear axles. I used Superior 4.56. I did it myself, and It wasn't too bad. But, I would recommend taking it to a shop. I was quoted $250 an Axle. It's a long process. I ran into problems with the rear Axles seperating them from the Hubs. Had to heat and press them .

Go to the Shop. Oh, I think Rosser sells Richmond Gears.

WWW.THINKJEEP.COM

It's a Jeep Thing! Get One, You'll figure it out!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 04:31 PM

Summit sells Richmond gears. Go with the installer recommendations. Actually, I didn't. My installer sells some made in Italy stuff and I used Spicer and Superior. He had nothing bad to say about Spicer as he also sells them, but I bought mailorder from DTD and saved $$$ off his price for Spicer.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode