idle problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

idle problems

ok, i was driving home last night and i took my foot off the gas and my 89' yj just died. so i clutch started the thing and drove it homworking the brake with my left foot and the gas with my right. i poped the hood and found a vacume line that was burnt by my header. and since the end was already pluged, i just cut it and replugged it. ok, still is not idleing yet. so i went and bought new spark plugs, re gaped them since i have a HEI upgrade. still nothing. i'm planning to check the timing and take my distributor cap off and inspect the working inside that also...if anybody has any help is would be great. and before this idle problem, i had my 4.2 Inline 6 running and idleing just perfect!!

thanks

89' jeep wrangler yj, saraha, 4" skyjacker, HEI conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:39 AM

Re: idle problems

Let me get this straight. It will drive fine but won't idle? If so, I would focus on the carb or vacuum leaks. After eliminating any possible vacuum leaks, time to work on the carb. The idle circuits are fine and easily plugged. Can't hurt to remove and clean the carb thoroughly. Get a rebuild kit to replace gaskets and rubber parts.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:55 AM

I have to agree with TiminMb I'm betting you got a piece of crap blocking one of the idle passages. you could try taking the idle mixture screws all the way out and blowing through the holes with compressed air (trying to blow the crap out of the way. then put the screws back in and see if it helps. either way, you're looking at probably having to open the carb.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Since it was running perfectly before and the only thing you've noticed that has changed was the burnt vacuum line, I would try plugging that hose at the source. I know you said that you cut off the burnt part, but maybe it was damaged further down the line as well. Just something quick to try.

TEXAS1AL

84 CJ-7; 258 I6; Restored-to-Stock Condition, TR Ignition Upgrade
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget to change the fuel filter before you install your rebuilt carb. I to, assume you will have to try and rebuild it. I had my BBD rebuilt twice by professionals. The first rebuild was not bad. The second rebuild, done a while later, was very poor so, I took it all apart myself. There was no improvement. The idle was still very bad. I resolved the problem by installing a Weber 32/36. Now it's great.
Ralph...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

Maybe the vacuum that was supplied by the burnt hose affected the idle. In other words, try replacing the hose.

jerry
87 Cherokee 4.0, 90 Wrangler 4.2, 95 Wrangler 2.5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:57 PM

A bad vacuum line is not going to cause it not to idle. more likely it will idle too fast (that is unless it's a large line like the one to the brake booster or if the EGR valve is sucking vac. from outside (I've had them do that on those 258's if you still think you could have a vac leak though dump water over the manifold side of the engine while you have someone keep it running and see if it straightens out at all.

89 CJ/YJ thing 350 TBI, 700r4, NP231 SYE, 3 inch body lift, 4" superlift, 33's and an appetite for mud!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

i still don't understand why i have to open up my carb....but i'm gonna check the timing tomorow and go from there

89' jeep wrangler yj, saraha, 4" skyjacker, HEI conversion.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:39 AM
sas87yj

my carter did the same thing. i cleaned out the idle pigk-up tubes and that did the fix. i didn't see any dirt but the holes are so small- don't think you would. i just blew them out with compressor and put back together. it works great now. oh and this was a rebuilt carter by holly- i junked the other carter that came with it when i bought the jeep. i will search for the instructions on the idle tube cleaning. REAL easy to do in an hour.

here it is:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am trying to understand the anatomy/positioning of the Vacuum hose that was destroyed --was it at manifold vacuum level or was it at ported vacuum level ? If it were at manifold vac level , I do not see how the carb would be impacted -- the hose would have had a direct feed into the base of the carb , below the idle tubes , below the throttle plates . Hence , I would suspect that another area is the problem source. If there were a ported vac hose involved , that would place the "Ported vac -CTO-TVs-EGR system " into scrutiny and the Ported vac - CTO - Evap Can system into scrutiny ". Any idea which hose was involved ? My guess is that the hose was fried for a while and that you were able to discover it when you experienced the idle issue . I am leaning toward the notion that the bad idle and the burnt hose may not be related . The carb may have clogged independently of the hose burning .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode