OT- Dealing with raccoons - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Addict

OT- Dealing with raccoons

This is quite a ways off topic but I really need some help here. My grandparents' neighborhood has recently been invaded by an army of raccoons. The hang out on the roof of the house and turned it into their playground/toilet. Needless to say, they make such a racket, no-one can sleep. My grandfather has caught 9 of them so far in traps, but it's tiring him out. He's 76 and it's getting hard for him to trap these things, and take them to the animal center. (Department of health says it's not their problem. BS, I say.) Not to mention the health risks to him and the financial costs of the traps involved.

So here is my question. Does anyone know of anyway to discourage the 'coons from coming around? I'd like to wack 'em with my 12 ga. but it's just not possible or legal where they live. Poison is another idea, but who knows where they will die. I know it's not the animals fault, but I sure hate to see my grandparents suffer in this way. Thanks for anyone's help/ideas.

"Let the Good Times Roll."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:23 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: OT- Dealing with raccoons

Oh Thanks!
Tears are in my eye from laughing.
This thread could be loaded with jokes than would make Jay Leno proud.

I do hope you get this problem fixed.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:25 PM

hmm, maybe there is some kinda decoy way you can scare them off?
How are they getting on top of the house?

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Old Hand

I think I would try putting a light & a radio tuned to a talk show up there and leave them on all night. If that didn't work, I'd break out my high powered pellet rifle and take care of them that way. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Donnie
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are probably coming to the house because they smell food, (trash, cat/dog food, etc.) Try to keep that stuff away from their noses, like in the garage or on the porch or something.. Another thing that you might try, is mothballs. Never used them myself, but I remember my grandma having some scattered aroung here flower gardens, to keep dogs and possums n' such out.. (I guess they really HATE the smell) We had coons and possums real bad when we used to have cats, they used to set on the porch and eat the catfood, (the cats didn't even seem to care, go figure) But since we got rid of the cats, they don't really bother much anymore.. Personally, I'd just whack em with my "Adult Airgun". After all, what the neighbors don't hear won't hurt em [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
BTW, I got a second opinoin on the mothballs, They'll work, Deer, coons, etc, can't stand the smell... Thats cool, Skellator has the same Idea as me,, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:52 PM

What we did at a friends house was to nail them with a high powered air rifle.We eliminated dozens of coons,opossum and skunks with it.Do it late at night,head shoot coon and opossum and body shoot skunk preferably in the front half.Head shoot skunk they spray,shoot them in the back half they spray.This is by no means foolproof.Hopefully they will wander off and die somewhere else.Good Luck!

F.T.D
77 CJ7,79 CJ5 Plow Jeep.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i live in the boonies and had the same problem with possum's and a few coons. started using the 12 gauge but i still missed a few,(night shooting)my son was a teenager(23 now)begged to try well the kid is good so good he started to use the 22. after a while for the"sport" of it he used a pellet gun(10 pump things)i went and bought him a cheap chinese one from a gun show(it was most powerful i could find)any way mounted a scope on it and using a flashlight it was deadly. once you wipe'em out the problem will slow down if your worried about the neighbors trap'em(not the neighbors) and then shoot them its not as "sporting" but it solves "pest"problem. i have to admit, the cats food (they're fixed)probably drew them in.

taco
78cj7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:40 PM

Are you an archer? If so a broad head will do a number on a racoon. We had the same promblem, except they were fighting with our dogs and cats. We got sick of it, so we tried shooting them with a pellet gun, but it doesnt phase them to much. So we set out a plate of cat food, they came from far and wide. We sat up in the tree house with our bows and shot about 20 in an hour. Kind off inhumane, but it delt with the promblem. Have not seen them since.
neighbors didn't even know it happened.

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:13 AM

My cheapo Daisy airgun loaded with field point pellets does a number on squirrels, but when I shot a racoon with it (the bastard was living in my rafters and scratched a hole through the ceiling), it just flinched. I must have put 50 pellets into the thing. If it didn't die from blood loss, lead poisoning was the alternative.

I did manage to kill a squirrel with my potato gun though! One shot, the squirrel went about 50 feet through the air after it got hit with a 2"x4" cylinder of good 'ol Maine baking potato!

Beer...liquid panty remover
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey do you have a neighbor or buddy close by that you need to pay back? You could sprinkle some cat food in their yard and hope the coons leave yours and head for theirs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode