Can't remove the CJ grill - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can\'t remove the CJ grill

I can't get the bolt/nut off to install a 1" Daystar body lift. I can get to it, but it's truning on me. Any tricks or tips? I can't get the back ones off either, and the bolt heads are hidden in the body metal.

'85 CJ-7, Superior axels, Detroit, Lock-Right, MSD, currently 33's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:41 PM

Re: Can\'t remove the CJ grill

I had this promblem also causing me to give up, I will continue with it some day. I have heard that jamming a screw driver in their can work but I doubt it, I think I will go straight to the sawzall, then put some new sheet metal in with hex nuts not those supid square things.

you could try heat them the screw driver method?
good luck
let me know what works.
tony

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:48 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You have to get some good penetrating oil with one of those plastic straws(like the WD40 cans have) . Do the best you can and get some of that up in where those blocks are (where the bolt goes to) . Do that for a week before you even think about turning the bolts . Hope that helps .

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:02 PM
funjoh

Not sure about the front grill mount. For the back, I drilled through the floor right above the mounting bolt. When done, I bought a plug and covered up the hole.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:49 PM

just bend the metal up on the top and you can get to the square nut with some pliers. you can open the spot welds on the back ones to get to them. later

Richard
83cj7/1ton everything
It use to be a jeep thing, but that stuff broke.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I actually gave up on it for a month also, but I can't put it off anymore. I'll deal with the back ones as needed and will have to pry the spot welds off as stated.

The front, who knows. I didn't know if I'd have to get that evil with it. I am sure that the metal "tab" or 2X4 piece covering the grill body mount is important, I hope it doesn't have to go.

'85 CJ-7, Superior axels, Detroit, Lock-Right, MSD, currently 33's.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:23 PM

Remove the radiator to get to the front one. I believe then you can get a wrench on it. Had to bend that flap of steel on the back ones, then you can get a wrench between the middle section and the back flap. Come in from the middle to the nuts. Hurts the hand. Or get a cutting torch/die grinder, fun next to the gas tank, cut, pound them out and start over with new bolts.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yep that brings back memories.helped a buddy tear his jeep apart had that problem with the grill. i think we cut the head off then had the grill out. i sat down took off my gloves and drank some of my beer and lit a cigarette. everybody kept working so i pryed that metal flap up and was going to cut the bolt the rest of the way off with a grinder and a 6" cutting wheel. holding the bolt up with a screwdriver and holding grinder in my other hand, i was just about done when the grinder grabed and jumped hitting my left pinky. it would have been better had i had my gloves on but hours later in the emergancy room i had 6 stitches and a cut that went to the bone, it was cool how those particals of trash show up on an x-ray. moral of this story next time we torch it

taco
78cj7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode