Land use litigation - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Land use litigation

Folks,
As many of you are aware your right to utilize your public land is rapidly eroding away. This erosion is not due to wind, water or other, typical, natural forces but by the unholy alliance of trust fund driven special interest groups, co-opted federal land management agencies, and our own shortsightedness. In the not to distant future this erosion will extend to private property as well, the laws are on the books that allow for federal intervention if your property causes harm downstream, that means if you have 10 million acres and you wheel it all by yourself, you can still be liable for the sediment load increase from your trip through the stream on your own property. No, it's not paranoia that comes up with that, it's American Heritage Rivers Act signed by former Pres. Clinton. So even private venues are subject to pressure from the anti groups.

There are currently (at least) four major pro access groups actively in court trying to stem this tide, unfortunately these groups rely not on the millions from eastern charitable trusts, Not from benifit concerts by the barbara streisands of the world, and not from donations from H&R Block, but from member enthusiasts like ourselves,and from small businesses like Predator 4x4 in Colorado Springs, for their funding. I'm going to ask that everyone make an effort to find a few extra dollars in their budget to help one or more of these efforts. It doesn't have to be a million, that would be nice, but not necessary, it doesn't have to be thousands or hundreds, but please try to find something. WE all spend tons of money on our rigs but how much do we spend on ensuring we can use them? Even on the street we are at risk.

So what's up?
The federal Government wants to scrap all vehicles over 15 years old, Uh that's every scrambler, CJ, Bronco, Land Cruiser, etc. out there, and they have legislation in congress to fund that very thing. Your tax dollars to eliminate your ride. Don't worry though because they will give you a nominal fee for your jeep and perhaps a voucher for a new car, but presumably not a new jeep or SUV since that same group of politicos are also trying to force all SUVs to get 36 mpg and other cars even more, that's going to reduce your choices somewhat eh? Connect SEMA for info.

SouthWest Four Wheel Drive Assciation has been in litigation for over a year over illegal closures enacted to, essentially, maintain BLM's "political capital" with the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance. The Wilderness Society intervened on behalf of the BLM and has prevented the settlement of the suit and has become very aggressive of late, presumably because they now recognize the potential for precedence to be set. Regardless, the stakes have been raised and that means that we in SWFWDA and our generous friends, must now pony up even more money to see this through.

USA-ALL is in litigation in Utah with the BLM over the new trend of management by emergency closure. BLM has found that they can bypass public input, the appeal process and other plnning rules by closing down routes via an "emergency" closure. these are supposed to be temporary, but once closed.............

Our friends at the Center for Biological Diversity, you remember them, they file suit on behalf of "endangered" species roughly every third day, they closed most of Glamis Dunes, working on Pismo, tons of Arizona, etc. Well they're now targeting the northern Sierra Nevada, they've filed against the Eldorado NF, which is home to, among others, the Rubicon. Contact BRC or Friends of the Rubicon for info or to donate to their land use fund which is being set up to counter this suit.

United FWDA has a Land Action Fund that is available for myriad special projects that affect fourwheelers, United has successfully sued the Forest Service, is in Litigation along with Blue Ribbon and others over several abuses in several states. It's even considered a deductible by the IRS as is BRC.

So how do we all help? When buying those new 38.5 swampers how about getting four and send the money for the spare to any or all of the above? Carbon fiber, bead-locked rims, send the savings of the fifth to keep a place open. Next time you visit you local shop or sell some left over parts, or win the lottery, pulse the shop owner on they're commitment to four-wheeling, encourage them to join these groups and to support the various land action funds. Part of the reason Predator has been so successful is their obvious commitment to four wheeling both through their business and through their support of access. We in SWFWDA have received donations from an injured desert racer's accident recovery fund, from clubs on the east coast, from the great frozen north and from every where. WE appreciate them all and they all go 100% to preserving access.

The Binder Bulletin has set up a matching fund for donations to the Rubicon defense, either through the Friends, or through the BRC. A great and generous way to double your giving. Big Thanks to Bill Thebert who runs the Bulletin and is willing to pony up his income to perpetuate our chosen form of recreation. I think their web address is Binderbulletin.org but play with it if need be. They have PayPal info on the site.

For contributions to USA-ALL see their web site, I think it's simply USA-ALL.org or the like.

For SWFWDA send your contribution to:
Jerry Ward, Treasurer - LAF
3553 Appaloosa Dr
Sunland Park NM 88063

For UFWDA, check the website, UFWDA.org, or contact me directly and I'll look up the info and send it to you.

Thanks for the help, if there are any questions or if you really want to contribute and can't find the info let me know, I WILL find you an address to send your support to.

tr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:17 PM
jeepfiend

Re: Lawsuits

BTT, Everybody needs to see this. Let's get our money to the right organizations.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess I'm not surprised by the total lack of interest when we can talk about new gas fillers and that sort of "important" stuff. Disappointed but not surprised, Thanks to the few folks who bothered to look and especially to the ONE who bothered to express an opinion.

tr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:50 PM

Lets keep this at the top for awhile. We should all take note of what tar is trying to tell you. While we build our Jeeps and talk about the bitchin stuff we can do with them we are losing the ground in which to do them on!!!!!!!!!!!!
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

btt

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
Duct tape, WD-40, and a BFH, what else do you need?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:19 PM
tdog90yj

I had no idea about the downstream sediment crap. That sounds like one more loop hole for the greenies to exploit. Thanks for the info I really appriciate it. Back to the top for the cause!

Travis
Lots of goodies!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Very good post Terry. If you are gonna do any contributing, BRC, USA-ALL, and UFWDA are the places to put your time and money. I remember all of them when they were just getting started, it was a big learning curve for everyone involved, heck Brian Hawthorne of USA-ALL will be the first to admit that, and the GAGs had a huge head start. If you want a little history of what organizations like this are up against, please read http://www.off-road.com/land/catching_up.html.
The organizations Terry referenced:
Blue Ribbon Coalition
USA-ALL
UFWDA

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:22 PM

This is true. A local ATV area was closed down becasue of the inconciderate people who were driving through the lake leaking gas all over the place. When ever I have a chance to help the off-raod community i will give 10% of whats in my Wallet at that time. If you dont even need to buy daily passes I will just to help support the community.

I just have to say that is is good GORE was not elected President becasue he planned on closing 50-70% of all public land. Yes some area need to be closed off becasue of disapearing land, but that area will open up soon if every one just stays off of it. Some people never learn, and ruin it for everybody...

Sorry, my YJ is a 90, not an 87.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:55 PM

Hmm....wasn't aware of the sediment bit....not suprised though....Alaska is kinda strange that way. We have a law on the books about not driving through streams where salmon run, but not anything in state law about sediment....The Kenai River is a unique example--one of the most disputed rivers in the world. Lots of regulations on boats dealing with horsepower ratings to reduce errosion--even though most of the errosion is from spring thaw....but I digress. I'm very familar with fighting Government inroads into our personal freedoms being a card carrying NRA member and the local fight against subsistence regulations on the Kenai Peninsula. Do you have websites or addresses for the folks that are fighting for our rights?

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cj5_pilot, read my post that is 2 posts before yours, there are links to BRC, UFWDA and USA-ALL there.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode