Cost of Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 front axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cost of Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 front axle?

I want to put a 1980-85 GW D44 front axle in my YJ. I want the axle w/o vacuum disconnects. I read some post about guys buying the front AND rear axles for cheap. Well I can't find the front for less than $300 in the Seattle area wrecking yards. How much did you guys buy them for and where? Am I searching for the wrong years?

<font color=blue> -Dorian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Cost of Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 front axle?

I bought a 78 Waggie front D44 with all the steering linkages for $75, but from what I understand, paying up to $200-250 is not that unusual. $300 seems steep to me, but I guess it depends on your area.

Rick
80 CJ7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:20 AM
Veteran

I bought a D44 front off a '78 for $125, they just cut it off at the shackles & pitman arm, was the springs, steering & all. (I ended up not using it-for now, but thats another story) - how I found it was that I saw an old waggy sitting behind an auto towing, I called & asked it they'd be interested in selling the axle from it. '80-'85 may go for more....

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:08 AM

hey, dont mean to change the topic of this post or anything. But what years do you want off of a waggy and why? thanks
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I want 1980-85 because they don't have a vacuum disconnect system. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not 100% certain.

<font color=blue> -Dorian
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

You'll want an axle from a 1980-'91 Grand Wagoneer. As for price, I paid $300 for a front and rear axle from an '88 GW. 1980-85 are the axles could have come with the vacuum disconnect system. As far as I know, 1986-'91 didn't come with it at all. Hey rice, why you asking what years? I swear you're on toooooo many drugs or something!! You've asked me SEVERAL times what years[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:18 PM
Frank360

I bought a full J-10 pickup for 350$ that I used the entire drivetrain for my YJ, excluding the I-6...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dorian you want any '80-91 except for '83-84. Those are the only years that have the vacuum disconnect. If you want a rear 44 you must go with '87-91. Some '86's have a rear 44 and some have the model 20 as it was a transition year.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:33 PM
MNT
Addict

I paid $100.00 for mine and got a few extra hubs and rotors for $20.00 each, but it was a junkyard that was going out of business. I guess the guy who owned the land had to deal with it because the yard was going under. He was selling stuff for cheap. I think I picked up 3 yorks for $50.00 and the rear out of a scout. It worked out ok for me.

Before you aks, it is gone now. Nothing left. Whatever wasn't sold went to scrap.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] mnt [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an 87 GW which was my donor vehicle and I got it for a bargain price of $25, came with Dana 44 front, Model 20 rear. I also have an 89 which I think are both Dana 44s. That I just sold for $2200. Not gone yet but a deposit. I know where there is another late 80s I could probably get for next to nothing but shipping from Vermont would not be cost effective.

So little time, So many trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode