Tube Fenders, Nearly Complete - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Tube Fenders, Nearly Complete

I spent another weekend fabbing, on the Jeep(but I did get out for a couple of hours, to point the Jeep up hill, on some local rocks). I finished the new skid plate/tranny mount/crossmember,..it is a full 2" higher than the previouse version. But mostly I was working on finishing the Tube Fenders, which were finished tonight,(except for hooking up all of the extra compressor, and electrical doo-dads that were mounted on the old fenders). I still have a hood rollover bar, to fabricate this week, and I need to doll up the fenders, and paint em, but for the most part they are complete. They arent that tough to build, but they are time consuming, getting everything right.
Here are a few pics.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:44 AM
tdog90yj

Re: Tube Fenders, Nearly Complete

Another astetically (sp)pleasing yet funcional mod by H8. Looks good man keep it up
peace

Travis
Lots of goodies!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:18 AM

very sweet, could you post a picture with the hood down also?....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff...looking reeeeeal good there pal!

I am a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to keep up [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'85 Cj7,360,TH400,D300,Pro-jection,D44's,M/T's 35's,8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:11 AM
ArkyCrawler

Looking good Jeff, please post some picks with the hood down also how many hours do you think you have on the fenders?

Great job!

Steve

83 CJ-7 ALL TORN UP!!!!! GO BIG OR DON'T GO AT ALL!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I really like the fenders. They don't look that tought to fab either. You could have done them on your own, more than likely. Are you going to line the fenders or leave them open to the elements. You might be able to get away with them being open on the rocks, but mud will require some protection.

I looked at my fenders this weekend and that would be fun project. I am really surprised that someone isn't already making them in a ready to sell format.

Did I mention that I really like them. Talk about going flat fender....

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:50 AM
Veteran

I also would like to see a pic from the front with the hood down when you get done. Looks Sweet though. Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought!
Chrome don't get ya Home!
Go Big OR Go Home!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I drove it to work today, so I should be able to snap a couple of digital pics of it, "with the hood down" today sometime.

They are fairly easy to fabricate, as long as you have a tube bender and know how to use it,(I dont, but a freind of mine did the bending for me). I also have a plasma cutter at my disposal, from one of my Sponsors, (Valley Rents). I too, am a little surprised that someone hasnt started fabricating them in kit form. If produced with a laser or Computer aided plasma, it would be verry easy to fab them. The time comes mostly from having to grind the panels to a perfect fit at the tube, for a smooth seamless look. I went through (5) 4 1/2" grinding wheels, and was up to ass in metal dust, when I finished the panels.
I probably have about 8 hours on them, and Joel has another 4 fabbing the tubes and mounts, and another 4 fabbing the radiator mount/cross member.
As far as the fenders getting covered, the lower underside on the 45 degree angle will get bolt on 1/8" sheet steel. The inner fender wells at the side of the engine will get 1/4"thick rubber skirts(I have a ballance of a roll of the stuff that 24 hour fittness uses on theri weight room floors). I will only use the the rubber skirts for mud wheeling.
The angled area below the battery on the passenger side is getting a flip down hinged electrical panel at the upper half(where the typical rats nest of wires occures under the battery). The other side may get the same thing with the air compressor plumbing, and a welder mounted to it.
The rock lights will be integrated into/onto the fender also. These fenders are great, they are stronger, have more room, more usable mounting surface, easier engine access, and they are easily unbolted form the Jeep.
I thought it would be good to show the project in its phases to show how simple it really can be.

Also here is a pic of the radiator mount/ and cross member. The center/upper section can be removed at the flanges on both sides the that the top of the radiator can be accessed without removing the entire mount. It also adds some roll protection for the high dollar radiator.

Thanks for the compliments, I hope it inspires some of you to fab them for your own rigs.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ahhh! Finally, some good pics of this fender project. I've been wanting to do this to my Jeep, but I was having a hard time visualizing it.. I didn't know that you were doing this mod to your rig Jeff. Thanks for posting these pics! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] They look fawesome! Are ya' going to be in the Boise area any time soon?! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Great job [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Bret

Don't ever forget 9-11-01 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lookin good Jeff. Sure has changed a lot since I last saw it in August.
BTW, good luck in the TTC voting.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode