Setting up a Jeep shop?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:56 PM
goose

Setting up a Jeep shop??

Well the plans have been engineered and I will be visiting the county offices soon to have the BARN approved to build. I have a few ideas on what to plan for but I thought what an oportunity this was to ask those who know...
Any suggestions on what to include while building my shop? IE pre-plumbed air lines, drain in the floor (to hose out the floor) ect...
The foot print is 42' X 40' with drive through. The main area is 27 X 40' and all open. Ceiling height is 9' at the sides up to 11' in the center.
All imput is welcome!
Goose

82CJ5 Laredo I6 258 T18 D300 (w 4 t0 1) D44 rear D30 front 4.27 gears (ARB both ends)and other home modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:35 PM

Re: Setting up a Jeep shop??

LIFT! It would be awsome.

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:59 PM

I'd have a storage room, for tools like jacks and tool boxes so that you can lock them away, also a room for jeep part too, they don't have to be big just enought to keep everything locked away
Chad

84 CJ-7 Just completed, t-18/dana20, dana44 rearw/welded diff dana 30 front and the old 258 amc. http://[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:37 PM

it's like you read my mind.
Well since the idea has been brought up, here is my $.02

- Plenty of power, you can't have to much of it. And it's always nice not to have to run extension cords everywhere.
- Heat, not sure of where you are, but here in New Eng. heat would be really nice
- Good lighting, always nice to see well, and in thoose hard places to see normaly.
- Lift is a total luxury, but hey, if you can, hey!
- air compressor, power tools are always nice, and you can paint too. I saw on either crank and chrome, or trucks, they installed PVC around the garage so they can tap into the air compressor from anywhere.
- Like you mentioned, the flood being drainable, and sealed is always a plus.

it was nice of you to post this, can show my girlfriend i'm not alone, and nuts for wanting this myself. :-)

< no signiture on record >
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:09 AM

How about one of those "pits" in the floor like the quick lube places have.
That way you can be down underneath your jeep to work on it without having to jack it up or buy/build a hydraulic lift.
That doesn't give you as many options for working on as many things as a lift does, but its probably much cheaper.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://www.cableone.net/wdohrn
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:18 AM

Power on different curcits.
Air points all over. Don't hang them from the roof though.

If your doing any paiting, a nice vaccume/vent system is good.

Lifts are nice.. really nice..
Pits are nice until they get in the way. Then they really suck.
Tool room is a good idea.
Light is a very good idea.
How about a hood in the corner with a large fan for welding/painting stuff?
I wish I had one right now.. everytime I go back into the garage from the house even 2 or 3 hours after welding the place is so smokey you can't see the other side.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:21 AM
Old Hand

I have a decent garage, but here are a couple of things I would do if doing it over:

* florescent lighting built into floor. I would have lenses that were flush with the floor that could be driven over, but not necessarily jacked on.

* Steel I beam with a rolling hoist that could be used to hold tranny up, remover engines, etc.

* separate sound proof closet for compressor with good outside ventilation.

* tall enough ceiling/opening to allow jeep to go in with things mounted to top sport mount (surf boards, lumber, camping gear, etc).

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:42 AM
tdog90yj

you definatly want/need a urinal. Come on, I Know Im not the only one who thinks that would be the coolest in a garage! At the very least a sink could pull double duty I guess.
peace
Travis

Travis
Lots of goodies!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some of the things that I've found useful:

hardmounts on the floor. This way I have an attaching point to come-a-long from and stretch things (I had originally had them to jig aircraft frames that I built but found them very useful for vehicle frame work).

Tall over head doors or barn doors (nothing worse than a project that will not fit out of the garage).

A 200 Amp service to run welders, tools, lathes, etc..

Plenty of lighting - I have florescent lights mounted on the walls about knee height.

A furnace that can be shut off when you are ready to paint or have flameable liquids about, right Joey[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

A good relationship with neighbors for those all-nighters[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

I am a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to keep up [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'85 Cj7,360,TH400,D300,Pro-jection,D44's,M/T's 35's,8274
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:03 AM
JeepJunkie78CJ

Something My dad and I added to his shop was an overhead monorail. Just a straight piece of steel. We picked it up at a scrap yard for I think 40 Bucks. You can by a little push trolley to mount on it for maybe another 20 bucks, and Hook a chailfall up to it. We pull motors with it, wheel axles around, etc... It's a very helpfull idea. Just make sure your roof is rigid enough. We also have a pit in ours. We made a 3" by 2" deep Lip around it when we formed it up, and we put oak planks in it crossways when not in use. I've rolled my jeep, as well as other heavy things accross it. Another Great idea...

Let us know how it turns out.

It's a Jeep Thing! Get One, You'll figure it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode