Holdn' down my Hard Top? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Holdn\' down my Hard Top?

I'm having a hard time keeping the front of my hard top to stay bolted down. I've got three new metal brackets comming down that I've bolted to the fiberglass and used self tapping screws to hold it to the windshield, but they keep vibrating loose. Anybody have any sugestions to make it a full time fix?

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 11:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Holdn\' down my Hard Top?

My steel piece is rivited to the hardtop and sheetmetal screwed to the ws frame and I don't have any problems with it. What is vibrating loose? The sheetmetal screws or the bolts holding the metal strip to the fiberglass? Do you leave the hard top on ALL the time? If so, I would look into drilling the metal mounting plate and ws frame to accept steel rivets. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, 1991 Cherokee Ltd.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:14 AM
Old Hand

I was having a similar problem and I finally fixed it by welding grade 5 nuts into the windshield frame. I welded them so they were flush with the frame and end up being nice threaded holes.

I now use a matching fine thread bolt with a lock washer and fender washer and no looseness at all. It took some time (and paint touch up), but I believe it was completely worth it.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:23 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I didn't understand which were coming loose either.

From your statement that you have "three new metal brackets comming down that I've bolted to the fiberglass", I assume that you are not using the stock metal strip. If you have split the strip into three shorter brackets, they will be able to move around too much and loosen the bolts. The strip needs to be full width like the original to and be held on with aluminum pop rivets with washers on the backside.

If you used the new brackets because the plastic cracked around the original pop rivets, just drill some new holes and install new pop rivets. I did this to mine and have had no problems.

You should be using sheet metal screws into the windshield frame, it's not thick enough to use self-tapping screws. If the holes are too large, the screws will not get a good bite, this will also cause them to loosen.

I had a friend that did what Smokngun said. He pop riveted to the windshield frame and just drilled them out every summer. If you do this use steel rivets to go into the windshield.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:23 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well I almost hate to admit this but I'v never bolted mine down in the front. I put a strip of foam tape on the windshield frame to keep the top from rubbing the paint off. I have drove and wheeled for years like this without any problems. I'm now running a Supertop and don't mess with the hardtop much anymore.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

My hard top never had the full bar along the edge. It had two small strips built into the firberglass that were all broken up so I put these in. The "screws" are about an inch long so they have plenty of length to go into the windshied. I've used bolts into the fiberglass and put lock washers on them, but they still vibrate loose! It drives me nuts!

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:12 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I'm guessing we're not talking about a factory hardtop.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:38 AM

I agree with jeeps4ever I never bolted mine down either. I just put some weather stripping in there to fill the gap and it has never leaked been that way for 12 years. It comes off every year and goes back on in the summers.
GP'n

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I thought it was origianl! It came with the Jeep and looks about 22 years old, but now I have my doubts! It also has a light above the rear cargo hatch on the inside, and my Jeep dealership said they didn't come with that until 1981 - one year newer than mine!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 01:15 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Mine is also an '80, with the factory hardtop, and it has the light above the rear hatch. Your description of the attachment at the windshield doesn't match though. It sounds like someone it met in the past did some "creative" repairs that didn't work out well.

The length of the screws is not what I was referring to, but rather the threads. If you really meant self-tapping, they would have a fine thread and not hold in the thin sheet metal. Sheet metal screws have a coarser thread and hold better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode