Reducing or Eliminating Noise in CJ-7 Doors??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Reducing or Eliminating Noise in CJ-7 Doors???

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can reduce or eliminate the noise of the rattling parts in my doors. I was thinking about putting some kind of foam or insulation, but I am afraid that they will odsorb odors over time. All the parts inside of the doors are tight. The doors rattle a lot when I hit any kind of bump on any road.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 01:24 PM
sas87yj

Re: Reducing or Eliminating Noise in CJ-7 Doors???

take em off

yeah they could end up smelling like a fart

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 01:49 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I've never noticed that much noise from my hard doors. There just isn't that much in there to make noise. If yours are stock for the '84, then you have a different latch than mine does and the paddle handles could be rattling.

There are several nylon rollers and nut plates through the glass that could be worn out. If you crank the windows up tight, that should put pressure on all of them. If that stops the rattle, then you need to look into them.

I suspect that your problem might be a lot simpler though. Check the door alignment, hinges and striker posts. Make sure the door is not touching the body and the weather strip is being compressed. Make sure the hinges and striker bolts are all tight.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 02:36 PM
Way Outta Control

The Hard doors should not make noise. IMHO you need to tear down the door assembly and completly refurbish the door. Some things that rattle:

a. The window runner may have popped it's welds,
b. The sliders need new parts or grease.
c. The lock/opening rods may be bent.
d. The paddle handle return spring may be rusted apart.
e. The guide fabrics may be worn.
f. The window trim may be worn and not holding the window in place.
g. The door may need alingment with the tub

These are a few items I can think of off the top of my head...In short you've go some maintance to do.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:01 PM
Official Historian

Mine used to rattle too until I replaced all the weather seals. JCWhitney has them for not too bad a price. Also, the plastic plugs for attaching the channel at the bottom of the glass are only a few dollars at the dealer.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Official Curmudgeon

OK, so now mine did it yesterday. It was pretty cold, mid teens, with snow on the road. Every time I hit a small snow bump, the passenger door would rattle. I could shake the big loop handle that is used to close the door and get the same rattle. My best guess is that the plastic handle and the sheet metal contracted at different rates and caused an oil can effect on the sheet metal. It quit pretty quickly but still it was annoying. I thought of your post when it happened. You might see if loosening and re-tightening the handles help.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HA!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
once you fix that rattle another will start, so if you leave it alone you wont have to worry about something else rattling

http://www.bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode