Murphy's Law and Getting Stuck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Murphy\'s Law and Getting Stuck

We decided to have a ride yesterday on a rainy day. It was dreary, windy and cool(for Florida standards). We wanted to go play in the mud. There were 4 of us, my '63 CJ5, '80 CJ7, '98 TJ, and a ford ranger. We all slosh through some unassuming mud holes until our buddy in the TJ found a mud hole that was not what it looked like. It turned out to be bottomless mud that suctioned his axles to the earth. At first we tried to yank him out with a strap with the CJ7. No luck. OK, attached the the CJ7 and my CJ5. No luck. OK try to snatch him out the backway. Once again attach the CJ7, he moved a little, but still really stuck. We pull out the TJ's winch cable, and attached to the CJ7, nop pulled the 7 to the TJ. Attached my CJ5 to the CJ7 and the WINCH pulled Both of us. My jeep was bouncing like mad when igave some gass trying to keep traction. Now it was time to dig. All the time this extraction was happening it was 20 MPH winds from the north (COLD) and driving rain. The mudhole was about waist deep and freezing cold. The TJ owner was in shorts and kneeling in the water digging out the axles. I was heloing dig out the rear axle. We took two high lifts to try and jack it up and push it sideways pout of the rut. the jecks, even with a base under them, sank deep into the mud and slid out. We were able to get wood under each tire. I took the winch cable and tied the front end to the Ford ranger so the front end wouldnt sink back into the deep stuff. Put a yank strap on the CJ7 and yank the TJ from the rear. Everything was set into place, gave the OK and the CJ7 cranked her up and pulled out the TJ. Luckily the TJ was still running and able to help out. Took about two hours of work, in the driving cold rain and we got him out. All this was because a mud puddle looked a little small. Watch out for Gumbo mud Guys. It will eat a jeep. Then we continued to play in other holes, but watching out for that one. Playing in the rain is fun, but darn is it cold, and good old Murphy will be there to make the playing tough.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa JeeperS" member
1946 CJ2A stock and loving it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Murphy\'s Law and Getting Stuck

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm almost 59 so you'll have to bear with me here.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Am I right in assuming that what you did was leave perfectly good firm ground and drive into a spot that approximated soft ice cream ON PURPOSE when you didn't actually HAVE TO? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Where were you guys when we had cows to feed in the winter and the mud was three feet deep?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We thought it was BAD when we had to swim our six-by-sixes through deep mud, axles dragging and tires churning.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]Heh heh heh.....boy have things ever changed![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What hasnt changed is that it was darn cold. That wind really did a job of bringing down temps. I always wear a pair of leather combat boots from the surplus store, while everyone else had on sneaks or little work boots. Those boots kept out all the water. I was really overjoyed that i did not have my feet wet, the clothes did not matter but having wet feet ruins the day. After the extraction was done, my buddy jumped into the TJ and cranked the heat, but you could just see his whole body was shaking. It was pretty sad though that a couple of guys on the ride stayed inside their jeeps not wanting to get wet. I will get back at them next time when they get stuck, i will make them get reaaaaalllll dirty [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers' member
1946 CJ2a stock and loving it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:23 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ok I gotta ask , by Florida standards , what was considered cold ? How many degrees ?
I did a similar thing years ago with my CJ , we were all racing around the rivers edge , all gravel and safe looking and there was a sinkhole there , un-noticeable , took the front end of my Jeep into her like nothing . Right up about mid level on the grille , yep , picture that . The rest well you just lived my ending pretty much [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well being i have been in florida since '84, my blood has thinned considerably, still not as muc has other people here, but it was around say 58-60 degrees with a 15 mhp wind from the north and rain. And considered most people wore shorts and a T-shirt. I knew better and threw on pants and a t-shirt, but had the sweatshirt in the jeep. And i have to say wearing a poncho in the wind really really sucks. One great thing about the day is that i thought of a new new element for our clubs jeep obstacle course we are planning.
THE HIGH LIFT THROW!!!!!!
I was tossing my jack over some puddles out of the way and I could toss it pretty far, so I think it may become real popular and rank up there with Cabor (SP?) Tossing (the game other tossing telephone poles)

But anyway, it was pretty cold for Florida standards, but today the weather is sunny and 75.. and i am going to the beach with jeep chick today [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] i am glad it only gets cold one or two days out of the year. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
1946 CJ2a stock and loving it

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

wow....burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...60...can you get frostbite at 60..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]send some of your cold weather to washington state....PLEASE...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 11:27 AM

Last night I lost control on a snowy road up here in the great white north and nose dived a rather large snowbank. (6-7ft)

Unfortuneately instead of noseing into it I ended up riding on top of it and high-lining myself up there. Axles were covered over the top..

I spent 3 hours alone, with drunk people passing me ever so aften digging snow with a folding shovel.
I think I cleared every tree within 30 feet from branches to put under my tires. Still no luck.. then it started snowing.
Finally a Volvo came along and gave me a tug.. no luck. He was just sliding on the ice puddle that was the only vector out.

Eventually a friend of mine in a Cherokee tugged me out..
It must have be -10C, with a 30-40kmh wind off a frozen lake fed by a glacier. Stupid me no jacket or gloves either.

I would have paid liberal ammounts of money to trade spaces with you...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 04:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I never go anywhere in the winter without all my winter stuff, rain gear, cover-alls, big coat, gloves, rubber boots, warm headgear ect. I have learned over the years that you just never know when you might break down or get stuck way out in the middle of no where. Been there, done that!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 05:05 PM

Last November we took the toyota pick up on a duck hunting trip to a lake in northern california, had to leave the CJ, doesnt haul decoys very well. We arrived where we were staying to late the night before and did not have time to scout out a place to hunt. In the mourning we missed the turn of to the lake that we were told to take, so we thought we could take the next one and travel along the lake bottom back to the spot. The Lake was way down from the DRY summer and lack of winter rain, but watter was starting to flow off the hills through little creeks, causeing thick sticky MUD. While trying to double back to the road we missed I navigated the almoast stock Yota, with mud tires, into some deep [censored], I had not noticed that the old tracks stopped, because it was about 3 hours before the sun came up, before I knew it we were sinking. The pick up sunk to its frame in the stickies mud I have ever seen, the tires looked like choclate glazed donuts, not a bit of mud was being cleaned as we spun them.
We walked about a mile up to the road, to get help. We were about 4 hours from home, so we couldn't call a buddy to come yank us out. We ended up having to walk 5 miles back to the nearest town and calling a tow truck, AAA told us they had 4 wheel drive anD it wouldn't be a promblem. The tow truck that came was 4 wheel drive but it waited as much as three toyota pickups and had street tires.
The driver was to scared of sinking his truck to get even close, he stayed about 300 yards away.
Then the storm hit it was raining and snowing and we thought we were F#cked, this storm was expected to dump 4 inches in the next 2 days, plenty to bring the lake up to 10 feet over toyota level. The road that we came on was getting sloppy and we were begining to wonder how or if we were going to save this truck. Once the storm hit the tow truck driver hit the road, he thought he was going to get stuck also, and get fired(understandable). We were sitting there getting pissed of, when out of nowhere we here someone coming, we hadn't seen another vehicle out there all day. Around a corner came a killer JEEP, it was a 80 CJ 5 with a winch! We were stocked, it still took a couple hours of trying differetn aproaches, but he got me out.

This was a few weeks after I had bought my 79 CJ5, I was convinced it was a sighn to start the Jeep build up.

Thank God for Jeeps, that CJ sure saved my ass.

tony

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One time some friends of mine went up to some land my family owns in Wyoming. We had a '94 Ford Ranger and our buddy brought his rental chevy pick-up (1500 series). Well he decided to cross a salt bed lake where it appeared dried up, and proceeded to get it stuck in mud up to the axles. They spent a couple hours trying to dig it out, unfortunately logic didn't come into play until I finally convinced them to go back and get the Ranger. We hooked up the tow strap, and a couple tugs later out came the Chevy. Needless to say I'll only buy a Ford when it comes to trucks

Jeep Code : Just Expect Every Problem, Just Empty Every Pocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode