fuel pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

fuel pump

okay, after many fix-its I decided to go ahead and spend 20 bucks and get a new fuel pump. What I really want to know now is, are the electric fuel pumps that much better? I looked at a universal electric pump, it had two wires and that's it. Does this mean the darn thing pumps gas all the time? How does it work anyway?

'90 wrangler 258 carb

Jeep Code : Just Expect Every Problem, Just Empty Every Pocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 11:59 PM
glennCJ7

Re: fuel pump

Relays or the ECM controls some newer elec. pumps, others are controlled by built in pressure regulators, and still others just pump whenever the ignition is on and the excess is diverted back to the tank. The latter type is most probably the common cheaper ones.

Glenn

Build what I can, buy only what I must.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
82CJ7 Rebuilding again.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 07:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: fuel pump

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Try not to go to an electric pump if you can avoid it Kristy. Electric pumps just add one more dimension to the unreliability issue. If you are having problems with a mechanical pump; a pump that was furnished as a stock setup on your Jeep; then it could be a number of things that are going on: one thing is that you can easily have a pinhole leak between the fuel pump and the tank. Air that is pulled into the fuel line by the suction of the pump can cause bubbles and block fuel flow. It acts JUST LIKE a faulty pump. A 12 year-old Jeep could easily have a small crack in a fuel hose somewhere iunder the Jeep.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The suction side of the fuel pump is the achilles heel of the whole fuel system. A plugged tank filter makes every little pinhole suick air like mad so THAT is another possibility. Always look for the 98 cent solution BEFORE you change the crankshaft, and always remind yourself that: "This Jeep worked WITH this pump for X number of years!" Then ask the question: "What has changed?"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode