Winch mount - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-1999, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Winch mount

I need to get a winch mount for front on my YJ. I am getting a Warn 8000 lb winch for an early Christmas present and was wondering which mount to get. I kinda like the looks of the Tomken one, but am open to suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-1999, 04:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Winch mount

FN: Go with a mount that you can see works on BOTH frame rails...that is it has a way of NOT pulling one rail forward and making a "Z" out of the frame section. It should have (looking down) some "section" to it such that it pulls the frame, AND holds the rails in the same spot relative to each other. Having used winch trucks quite a bit, this is the biggest thing that you need to watch out for....that it doesn't pull on one rail only, and CAN'T, no matter how wierd the snatch is, or where it is coming from. Not all pulls are straight out the front.

CJDave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-1999, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJD: Gotcha! Now, do you know who makes one that is worth a darned?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-1999, 03:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

No I don't, but mainly because I have not really noticed. If you have some possibilities and tell me where to view them I would be glad to give you my $.02 worth. We will not be putting one on our SNOJEEP, first because we really don't need it, and second because we are trying to get the weight in the rear for handling.

CJDave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-1999, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unfortunately I don't know where there are any good pictures of them on the net. There is one at
http://www.tomken.com that I found. That is part of my problem.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-1999, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I looked at the TomKen on their web site. Looks like mine except for the front hoop. I have a Warn with no front hoop - two bolts on each side into the top of the frame. Same bolts that hold the bumper on and the tow hooks. My Warn works well with my MileMarker winch, and it's had some pretty tough pulls. The Warn cost just over $100 in '97 if I remember correctly.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 03:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I made one for about a $100. I actually made a complete bumper and winch plate combination. I used 2"x4" rectangular tubing to make the front bumper and used 2"x2" angle iron perpendicular to to that that goes on top of and outside the frame rails. I then welded a piece of 1/4" diamond plate steel over the top of the angle iron and tubing to make a winch plate. The diamond plate is in the same location as the plastic Jeep frame cover. The diamond plate acts as a great mounting surface and keeps the frame rails from being pulled in as CJD explained. I haven't tried it out yet because I can't afford a winch right now, but it looks great and should be plenty strong for an 8000lb winch. If you don't want to buy a premade unit, I could take a picyure and provide measurements of the unit I made.

<font color=blue>1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.73 gears(too high), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Durabak</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 04:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Winch mount- is GOOD!

Yeah! Clap! Clap! Tom has "bagged" it! His winch mount has the necessary "section" to prevent a frame "Z" if he has a badly offset pull. Simple...yet strong in all the right places!

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure what is made for a YJ, but the channel mount from Warn on my CJ7 is about as strong and simple as you can get. The winch is mounted in a channel that is bolted to to brackets that bolt through holes in the side of the frame and come around on top. The channel is bolted to those brackets. I bought it years ago, but it was one heck of a lot cheaper than a bumper setup. I even modified mine to mount tow hooks to, its amazing what you can do with a metal cutting blade in a circular saw, 1/4" steel cuts like butter.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warn's standard YJ mount is now $79.00 or so from Quadratec, etc. I know it bolts to both frame rails with 2 bolts each in the tow-hook holes, but I'm not sure if it also connects to the round cross-tube like I think the more expensive Tomkin one does

Pete
71 Commando
95 YJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode