In-frame headers, problem with fit! Updated - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In-frame headers, problem with fit! Updated

I finally got around to installing my exhaust kit thats been sitting in the basement for 5 months. I got the passenger side header on just fine, real tight between starter and frame, but it fits. The drivers side header has a problem. It doesnt fit around the clutch hose and the brake distribution block is in the way. I can move the dist. block off the inside of the frame, but where is the best place to move it to? Or does it really matter?

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 07:40 AM

Re: In-frame headers, problem with fit!

You could move the distribution block up to the top of the frame! Or if you don't mind cutting and adding lines you can move it back. Good Luck

Rodney C
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] First, I'm not really sure WHY a person would opt for exhaust headers on a Jeep.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] We used to "put up" with all the problems that headers are when we had fast cars which would actually BENEFIT from the scavenging effect that well-designed headers give above five thousand RPM. Other than that sort of application, they are trouble, trouble, trouble. That having been said, we'll address the problem that you are having.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] First of all,.....if you haven't wrapped specific areas of the exhaust runners with thermal wrap, DO IT NOW. Those areas should include anything that is close to electrical, fuel, brake fluid, clutch fluid, electric starter motors, and coolant. SECOND......DO MOVE that brake porportioning valve to another location. They even "FLOAT" them on some vehicles, letting the tubing support the block in mid air. THIRD.....double wrap the clutch hose and wrap any exhaust runners nearby. The clutch tubing can go just about anywhere a long as it is a steady slope to the slave cylinder. FOURTH.....put some 3" caps on the collectors and pipe them just past the body behind each front wheel. When you are wheeling, just open the caps and that way the sound of the exhaust will drown out the protests of the eco-nazis as they try to tell the liberal press what a bad person you are for going off the pavement with your Jeep.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am going to wrap the headers near those vital parts, I just want to get them in first so I know exactly where to wrap. The reason for the headers is because when I bought the jeep it had fenderwell headers on it. I didnt like them and destroyed them on rocks. The in-frame headers were half the price of new manifolds, so thats the way I went.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

MOST headers will give you all kinds of little hassles,
I'm running a set of Summit's $69 headers, buy a cheap header expect a cheap header...outside of having to dent 4 the runners to clear the spark plugs and the pass side mis-aligned and sitting to close to the starter for what I paid they work quite well, add some BBQ grill black spray paint and they last OK, when I re-do the exhaust again I'll be going back to manifolds...

and header thermal wrap isn't cheap ~70.

Luke
http://www.cj7jeep.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

After working all afternoon, I managed to get the entire drivers side exhaust on. I had to rotate the clutch cylinder to clear the header, grind a bunch of the flange to clear the clutch fork. Eventually, after a lot of bloodshed on the knuckles, cussing and prying I got it all to fit. Have to wait to attack the pass side till wednesday or so. Then I still have to wrap everything to keep the heat away from the starter, brake lines and clutch.

Coleman racing sells Header wrap, 50' for $48. Pretty damn good price.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode