Sway bar disconnects - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Sway bar disconnects

It's time to think about a sway bar disconnect. Does anyone have a clever idea for one? I'd like something a little more reliable and easy to use than a shaft, tube and Jesus pin thing. I would like something that could be released even if the bar is under load, and set to lock automatically as soon as it is aligned.

It doesn't have to be something that's been done before. I can develop and build from somebody's idea.

I might have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sway bar disconnects

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jim have you ever just unhooked your sway bar and run it down the road....maybe I'm just different but anything I can get rid of is a plus...but I live in the mountains and me jeep would sh#t itself if it was ever on a freeway.......Keep it simple

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-690079-frontwindow.JPG (76.6 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 11:32 AM
Old Hand

Sounds like a good idea Jim, sorry i'm not quite that creative, yet. It really isn't too bad without the sway bar. I had driven short distances without it before, but was kinda scared to drive on the highway without it. But, last weekend I went to deepwater, mo, about 75 miles away from me. On the way home I was sort of zoning out thinking about the day and realized I never hooked the sway bar back up. I was cruising about 75 on the highway all the way home. I still haven't hooked it back up, contemplating just taking it off to mount my winch a little lower. Which really irritates me cause that's the only reason I had to have welder friend make the mount for me. But at least it only cost me a carton of basic light smokes!

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 12:15 PM

So, mine's less of an on-purpose thing, but it works for me.

There's about 2 hours of drilling and a couple of bits into this disco, but it works good, and I'd say as long as it's grade 8 hardware it's probably just as strong as the original stud that I sheared.

So this is the end that has 2 nuts and 2 washers on it. previously all that is now grade 8 hardware was a stud that was tucked under the U-bold retainer.

This is the underside of that U-bolt retainer.
The head of the bolt had to be ground off around 2/3 of the curcumferance to fit.

It's really hard to see from these pics, but if you take a look at your Jeep, you can see what I did.
Grind off the stud. Drill out the rest of it.
Grind the head of a bolt off a bit.
Slide it through and you have a disco.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-690123-DSCF0043.JPG (69.2 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I should have driven it some before I connected the bar, but didn't think about it at the time. One dope slap self administered.

They way I drive the oversteer might be a bit much without the bar. I do like to play the freeway ramps; it will still slide before it gets up on two. Most of the time

I might have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode