Off Roading Forums banner

CJ 6 Project - the cage is in !!

408 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Alfred 
#1 ·
Hi there,

just to keep you updated... THE CAGE IS IN!!!! ... now there is no excuse for NOT wheeling it....

As you know i do live in chile, and the clocks are ticking differently here...

on the up side:
- the whole custom cage was only US$ 180,- (all inclusive)
- they used 2,5" tubes

on the down side:
- DOM is unknown here (just the welded tubes)
- they cant really bend thick-walled tubes
- the tubes they used are only 2mm (0,08" or 1/12")wall strength
- they just tie it into the body... (we used some 10x12" x 1/4" steel plates on the underside, though .... and i might have it tied into the frame - but not too sure yet)
- there are some kind of DOM tubes here (called "Mannesman") but they have too much wall thickness and cost an arm and a leg ;o)

thats why i "designed" quite some extra spreaders into the cage, to give it extra strenght

any idea on how strong this cage should be? Or how does a 1,5"x 0,120 tube compare to the same 2,5"x0,08 ???

well, enough spoken, here come the pics... ;o)

here is the close-up look of it

here the rear

here the cockpit

and finally... the whole show

enjoy and take care

Alfred

ps: the next pix will be off-road ... ;o) ... i promise heheheh

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good Al, if you want some good info on roll cage material and construction, see the two threads by Redbeard and CJDave that have been on here for the last two days...

question, I was looking at your shift stick, how far do you have to reach to go into first and third gear? It just looks like a long distance reach from the cockpit picture, may just be deceiving in the pic though....

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

#4 ·
kerry,

you are right... shifting is not been done very "sportive"... the way from 1st to 2nd is fairly long...

the biggest problem i have currently is hitting 3rd from 2nd gear... its pretty much W.A.G. (wild a$$ guessing)...

problem is we had to adapt the whole tranny as it came from a right-hand drive japanes lorry.

thats still a thing i'd like to sort out, as i already experienced this problem on a steep incline (wasnt able to find 3rd ... how's that for an embarrasing moment :eek:) ... but i guess after a couple of dozen hours or so... it will be easier.

on a sidenote, the bicycle-shifter on the stick is the manual-idle-override or hand throttle

other thing to improve is the 8" of play on the steering wheel...makes for a spooky ride beyond 40mph ...

but its pretty much a trail dedicated rig, so my personal speed limit is 3mph ;o)

take care
alfred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.