just to keep you updated... THE CAGE IS IN!!!! ... now there is no excuse for NOT wheeling it....
As you know i do live in chile, and the clocks are ticking differently here...
on the up side:
- the whole custom cage was only US$ 180,- (all inclusive)
- they used 2,5" tubes
on the down side:
- DOM is unknown here (just the welded tubes)
- they cant really bend thick-walled tubes
- the tubes they used are only 2mm (0,08" or 1/12")wall strength
- they just tie it into the body... (we used some 10x12" x 1/4" steel plates on the underside, though .... and i might have it tied into the frame - but not too sure yet)
- there are some kind of DOM tubes here (called "Mannesman") but they have too much wall thickness and cost an arm and a leg ;o)
thats why i "designed" quite some extra spreaders into the cage, to give it extra strenght
any idea on how strong this cage should be? Or how does a 1,5"x 0,120 tube compare to the same 2,5"x0,08 ???
well, enough spoken, here come the pics... ;o)
here is the close-up look of it
here the rear
here the cockpit
and finally... the whole show
enjoy and take care
ps: the next pix will be off-road ... ;o) ... i promise heheheh