AMC 20 housing tube upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AMC 20 housing tube upgrade

Can I upgrade my axle housing on my 20? Keeping the same inside diameter, but increasing the OD(wall)? or do I have to go with a stock tube. If so what is there to removing the existing one, do I cut off the flange at the brake and what about at the pumkin? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: AMC 20 housing tube upgrade

EDIT:
------------------------------------------------------------
Just as a reference, the article I mentioned below was in Petersons 4 Wheel and Off Road, February 2002, Page 84
------------------------------------------------------------

Theres an article in one of the four wheel drive mages this month about building up AMC 20's.

Now I can tell you right off that most reposnses to this thread are going to tell you to just swap out the 20 for a bigger stronger axle like a Dana 60 or so.

I personally like the 20, but it will cost you some money to do this. You can swap out to thicker tubes, what you have to do is have the factory tubes removed and have the thicker tubes pressed in, then you can weld on later model flanges from I think a YJ that are supposedely stronger, the article I saw even had the housing shaved to provide more clearance.

I have an AMC 20 in my Scrambler, that I am currently trying to identify. I bought it a year or so ago, and realized that the housing looks different from the one I took out, the tubes appear to be thicker than the ones on the one I took out, and the flanges have been welded rather than the cast ones that are on the one I took out, so I am hoping that the guy I bought it from had converted a Heavy Duty 20 from a wagoneer, which, if that is the case, I should never have any worries about the 20 giving me major problems due to the usual weaknesses.

So thats another option for you, go with a cut down version of a Wagoneeer HD 20 instead of spending the money to completely rebuild yours.

Doe anyone know an easy way to identify a HD 20 other than the usual 6 lug pattern (cuz the flanges could have been changed to 5 lug)?

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im with ya KerryP, I have too much into my 20 now to move on, ie One pc and Detroit, I was just interested in how hard it would be to swap tubes. thnks again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 09:06 AM

youll need to make or borrow a jig to keep the outerflanges alighned with the inner bearings surfaces ( both must be in line or bearing wear will be premature)

and then youll need some way to cutout teh rosette welds in teh factory housing to the tubes, then press them out, then bore out the housing to accept biugger tube ( or turn down the part of teh tubes that sticks in.

reweld the rosettes, alighner the outers reweld them.

new spring perches/Ubolts to fit the larger tube.

itll eaasily run several hundred dollars.

way easier to sell what M20 parts you have, and spend the money on a Dana60

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 10:45 AM

To replace the tubes in your housing is going to be a LOT of work. The welds are through holes in the housing into the sides of the tubes, so they can't be ground off like the welds holding the knuckles. You will have to drill through them and then go into the holes with a die grinder. Then you will have to set up the whole housing in a good, stout press to get the tubes out. Then bore the housing to the new tube size, press the new tubes in and weld them.

FYI, in the stock housings, the tube is turned down slightly to press into the pumpkin, instead of making the holes larger to match the tube OD. I suspect that's to hold a tighter tolerance on the press fit, which would suggest that it's a VERY tight fit.

If you had to pay to have it done it would cost a LOT more than the stuff you're trying to save. I would think that your best bet would be to find a HD AMC 20 and transfer your goodies into it. Or sell it and start over with something larger.

I might have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode