TJ Tranny question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ Tranny question?

I have a 2000 TJ and I was wondering if the transmison is supposed to click when shift gears? It doesn't seem right to me, but the dealer said it was supposed to do it?????

Also what are the biggest tires you can fit on a stock TJ with stock rims?
Thanks

94 GMC 6" superlift 3" body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 12:13 AM

Re: TJ Tranny question?

I'm assuming it's a manual trans? I really dont' know much about manuals though i know the auto in my tj sucks and it just loves to suck in water (have tj tranny problems my self at the moument). As for tires and wheels, you could fit 33's if you don't plan on flexing at all (you would rub over speed bumps) my friend runs 31's on 3.5" back spacing wheels (stick out more than stock) and they rub like crazy on the fenders when he's flexing (no sway bars, front or rear) I run 30's and i just rub on the control arms when i'm at full lock turning and on the top of the coil buckets when i'm flexing and i have stock alloy wheels (not the canyons but they are 15x7 5 spokes), nothing major, if you want to flex like mad i'd say stick with 30's or add a 1" body or spacer lift to clear 31's, you could probably clear 32's alright with 2" of lift but 3" would really help.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 07:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: TJ Tranny question?

31" tires are the largest without rubbing. We've been running them for 4 1/2 years and 90,000 miles now.

As to the clicking, the 2000 year was the first year with the NV3550 tranny, and they had some problems with the 2000 year ones. The gears (or something) were cut wrong and wouldn't mesh right. Do a search here, there was a lot of info posted about it. Not sure if it makes a clickig sound though, sorry.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode