amc 20 axle bearing trashed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

amc 20 axle bearing trashed

I was reading a post from offroad.com about amc 20 bearing, Ive got one pc axles in my cj, and I spun a bearing, its shot seals and all, any recomendations on fixing it. When I took the axle off pieces of bearing and seals just fell out, and the bearing (whats left) seems to be fused to the axle, I was just going to get your ideas on how to fix and what to do to keep my diff oil from leaking out if I can get my axle cleaned up...thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:27 PM

Re: amc 20 axle bearing trashed

Replace the axel housing.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:48 PM

If the remains of the bearing is fused to the axel and can't be removed replacing it is about the only option.I am not sure if anyone supplies onepiece axels as seperate units without buying the kit.even if you can pick up one side you will be better off to pull the other one and check it,it may be ready to blow.
the seal should have prevented any pieces from getting into the pumpkin but you may want to drop the cover and clean it out anyhow,ya never know.
It shouldnt be leaking any fluid unless the seal wore out and allowed fluid to leak to the bearing.
you should be able to get seals from 4 wheel drive hardware or any supplier and a bearing can be obtained frome anywhere if you can get the size off of what remains,the only problem part would be the spacer and collar to press the bearing on.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

If your refering to the bearings inner race as...."the bearing (whats left) seems to be fused to the axle", that'd be correct. The bearings inner race is pressed on the shaft. Carefully grind a slot in the race almost through to the shaft. Pop it with a chisel & BFH. I this doesn't crack it, repeat on the opposite side of the race. It's so hard that once scored, it'll fracture and fall off.
Then just follow the above for new seal/bearing. The new bearing will need to be pressed onto the shaft also.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 02:05 AM

In addition to what Caver Dave and Jaffer said:
1) If the RACES are shot in the ends of the tubes, I agree, get a new housing cause this one will never be the same.
2) if the bearings are fused to the shaft, you could also take it to a machine shop. They can put a bearing separator collar around it and press it off.
3) Where is your axle leaking? If it's from the cover, RTV and plento of it. If it's from the pig/tube intersections, get a new housing. If it's from the ends, make sure to clean tube ends and brake backing plates, replace inner/outer seals, and use a little RTV between the brake backing plate and the tube end.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode