Getting a Jeep ready for sale? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Getting a Jeep ready for sale?

My mom thinks i should sell my tj and get a trail beater, i agree with her but havn't asked yet to also get a 3/4 ton truck to tow the beater with, especailly after this jeep has already blown a tranny once at 57k and that re-build is going at 61k, that will definetall get fixed. If i can convince my dad to let me sell the tj i'm going to do it and get something i can beat on that has a manual tranny and soft top. Any tips for selling the TJ? I plan on washing it really well (including the under carriage and interior), getting the hood, pass side fender, rear corrners and probably my doors re-painted at the local tech college for the cost of materials, putting the sway bar bolts back in up front and re attaching the rear sway bar, putting my rocker skids on (for a step and to hide the dent in the rockers), getting used but new to me front and rear bumpers, cleaning up and replacing the flush tail lights out back, touching up the bed liner, replacing the leaky pinion seal listing all the maintance i have done and getting as many of the recipts together as i can find, maybe putting the 3rd brake light back on, pulling the mirrors off the cheasy angle iron mounts and putting them back on the doors, fixing the ac, pulling off the ripped up best top seat covers but probably including them in the sale, and i'm sure there's more i'll think of later. Any tips to get it looking better for sale and get a fair price for it? I'm not sure what to ask for it, i'm thinking listing it for 12,499 it's a '97 TJ (4.0, auto, hard top w/ tinted windows, defrost, and wiper, ac, cloth seats, 61, 500 miles on it, 30" bfg at ko's that were probably put on at about 45k, bed liner, rocker skids) does that sound right? and then maybe having my bottom dollar around 12 grand.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 01:32 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Getting a Jeep ready for sale?

I guess area dictates prices but where I live , a 97 with those miles will catch around $ 8000-9000.00 US . Autos dont sell very well here , everyone wants the 5 spd. I looked at a really nice 97(4.0L 5 spd.soft top only) yesterday in a lot here and they were asking $ 11500.00 CAN so thats about 7200.00 USD.

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 03:34 PM

I've got to agree with Jeepzilla. I haven't seen a '97 TJ go for over $10k in a couple years already.

I'd suggest for a 'beater' vehichle... get a Full-Size Jeep. A J-Truck or 2-door Cherokee would be great since you can really cut open the front and rear fender-wells. We did this to a friends '78 Cherokee and fit 33s with no lift. Later we did a spring-over and ran 36s.
Plus you get a V-8 (some have the I-6), strong transmissions, 3/4-ton axles (his were both D44s, some use an AMC 20HD rear). I'd hold off for something without the Quadra-Trac. That means either an '80s (86+ is best) or an earlier one with a D-20.

After investing so much time and money into swapping full-size Jeep parts into my Wrangler, I think it may have been easier to start with the full-size Jeep!

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 04:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Sycho15
Are you familiar with the J truck models at all ? I passed an old one the other day and it was a J 4000 , I could see it had a D60 FF rear axle in it . I also saw a J 2000 at the wreckers a while back and it also had the same rear . If they are both 3/4 tons what else is different ? I did notice that the 4000 looked puuuurtier [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 03:11 PM

Most likely they had closed-knuckle D44 front axles (with the 19-spline shafts [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]). Spring rates, wheelbases, gearing, and umpteen other things amounted to the designation. There is always the possibility that someone swapped an axle too.

Thankfully(?) when AMC bought out Kaiser they put a stop to the confusion and offered only the two models ,J-10 and J-20, with only a couple bed options.

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode