TF999???/ How long should re-built autos last??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

TF999???/ How long should re-built autos last???

How long should a re-built auto tranny last? My tj had it's 1st tranny re-build at 57k (i've only owned it since 50k so it might not be the 1st). Jeep re-built my tranny in november when it had about 57k on it and now it's at 61,500 and it isn't shifting right, it takes a ton of gas to get the jeep to move from a stop, it seems like nuetral and 1st gear are bad, when it was re-built last time reverse was completly shot. Jeep re-built my tranny (big mistake $1600 for a re-build and $600 for a new radiator) and most re-built trannys have a 12k/12 month warenty on them but the jeep dealer said that they won't warrenty my tranny because i wheel it and the guy accused me of taring up framers fields and beating the [email protected] out of it. I'm hoping it's just over filled (what's the propper way to check a tf999's fluid level? running after it's been shifted through the gears?) and today i'm going to change the fluid with an ast certified mechanic (so they can't blame me for messing up my tranny) and see if that helps. If it was re-built and one jeep dealer can i take it to another for warenty work (the jeep it's self isn't under warenty, just the tranny) I've already cleaned it up but i'm going to take it to the pressure washer today and then i'm thinking i'll have my mom take it to another dealer and have her say something like we had the trans re-built and it's not sounding or working right now, we had a certified mechanic friend change the fluid and that didn't make it go away can you look at it and call us with what you find. Hopefully jeep will warenty the repairs and i won't have to step in here and i'll stay out of the picture (who listens or respects a 17 year old kid?) and it will get re-built but if jeep won't warenty it i'm not going to have them do the work. How hard is a tf999 to pull? Can i do it in my garage if i borrow a floor jack, i've got a fair amount of tools. Where should i take the tranny for a re-build? How much should i expect to pay for the re-build? How many hours am i looking at to pull and re-install the tranny, i'm guessing i could get some guys from the local jeep club to come over and help me pull it and then re-install it. This post got long, i'm sorry, im b!tching.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: TF999???/ How long should re-built autos last???

did you get a warrenty in wirting when they rebuilt it?

if so take it back and say fix it.

better yet have your mother or another adult do it.

not to deisrepect you in anyway, but as a 17 year old kid its hard to get them to do anything ( I know I was 17 too)

if you dont have a warrenty in writing itll be alot harder.

check the fluid level and filter first, but something still amisss if the filter is clogged already, or the level is wrong after such a short time after the rebuild.

is the kickdown linkage working properly?

if you remove and install it, no one will warrenty it, its hard to cover for all the stuff that could happen when someone else installs your work, too many things that could cause it to mess up later.

usually, check the fluid while the engine/trans is at operating temp ( drive t for a while first) then on level ground, in nuetral, or park, I cant recall which, I think at idle.

the dipstick should say on it what position to check the fluid in ( park or neutral)

good luck

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Torqueflites are checked in neutral, warmed up. Everything else, ozark covered pretty well.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

I had my dad dig up the bill, it says "Our Guarantee is 12 months or 12,000 miles, which ever comes first unless otherwise stated" in red text at the bottom of the paper and the bill it's self has printed "cannot guarntee future problems with trans due to off road use" it also has printed in the bill it's self "our goal is your complete satisfaction!"How can they prove that the tranny is going bad due to offroad use? How can i know they are not screwing me and saying it's offroad use when it really isn't, or if it might be caused by wheeling but could also happen on the street, last time they said reverse went bad and was completly shot from rocking the jeep in mud holes and looking on the bill i don't see anything specifically like a new reverse gear set, i'm not sure if that would have been included in the basic re-build or not. If anyone knows trans well and would want to try and decifer my recipt to tell if they acutally replaced reverse or not i'd gladly type the stuff up. One idea i have is to try and find a tranny shop like aamco that gives free estimates and get an estimate in writing and that it was not caused by offroad useage. I don't want to get into a situation like (can't remeber his name, but the post is something like 2000 TJ tranny problems) that guy is in where jeep wants money to tear the tranny down only to find out they arn't going to warenty it and that i have to pay for the tear down and then either have them re asssemble it so i can drive to a tranny shop or have jeep rebuild the tranny. If worse comes to worse and jeep wants us to pay for the tranny re-build i'm not sure what i will end up doing, maybe getting the jeep towed from jeep to a reputable tranny shop with the tranny and t-case out and have them do the work but then i'm affraid jeep will screw me and forget to give me some vital part of the tranny or something like that.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 03:09 PM
Official Historian

I would think that the only way they could prove off-road use is what caused the problems is if there is mud or water in the trans.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 03:13 PM
Leigh_Smith

A rebuild should give no problems in the time period you described as long as it was not low on fluid, overheated, or contaminated with water. I had one between a 304 and 35' s and I was amazed at the abuse it took. Now is the time to get vocal, go back to where the tranny was done b4, bring someone who is a good debater, a parent is good if they are mad! Demand that the tranny be repaired properly and bring up thier satisfaction guarantee.
I have found all warranties are only good if one is determined to get a claim.

It will never be finished unless it burns up in the woods.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 03:22 PM

Longevity depends on...
1. Who/Where the transmission was 'Rebuilt'....
2. How Much/When maintenance was done....
3. Application/Abuse the transmission takes....

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

good point by will.
did you put something in writing that you "abused" it?
or was just a little "conversation?".
what about the people who "don't offroad"...
but deal with a constant foot of snow?
if it was me, i'd bite the bullet, have someone else
fix it, have them document their inspection,
and then sue the other pinheads for cost + .
i have had to go the small claims route
WAY too many times because people nowdays
don't g/a/s!!!

when in doubt.........
empty the magazine.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

We pulled the trans pan today and there was water in the trans, it was pretty bad. We changed the fluid once, poped a new filter in and we plan on changing the fluid several more times to try and save the trans and flush the water out. The fluid got a little better when we changed it, it wasn't as runny and white as the fluid that was in there. I'm hoping that this solves it, if it doens't looks like it's either a re-built trans, bone yard trans, or getting my current trans re-built again but i don't think i'll even take it to the jeep dealer since they will just give me sh!t and waste my time. I'd like to thank jole (mav 750) for helping me out with this, he drove an hour or so to get here just to help me out.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 01:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

Please forgive the assumptions, but.....
- You ARE a "17 year old kid"
- You HAVE been "beating the [email protected] out of it"
- They DID spell it all out that "offroad use voids the warranty" on the ticket

The best things in life (lessons?) are NOT free, especially those pertaining to Jeeps and learned by the sweat of YOUR brow. I'm not trying to bust your chops here, just trying to say that at some point in everyones life, they have to grow up mentally & morally. It might be your time to "pay the piper". Quit trying to scam the dealer to hide your activities from your folks.
Having said all that, nobody is perfect, especially D-C mechanics.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode