The roll cage "Pipe" thing.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The roll cage \"Pipe\" thing....

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There is probably more good info on "Redbeard's" roll cage post than any of us could use in a lifetime, but the salient point is that there is "pipe" and then there is "pipe". Somehow, whenever a guy mentions making roll bars outa pipe, we tend to visualize Saturday nite at the local circle track and a "claimer" with the roll cage built out of old galvanized water pipe that came out of somebody's well. There is a difference between "Structural Pipe" and just plain water pipe as was succintly pointed out in the Redbeard threads. Water pipe material is chosen for it's ability to form easyand weld up tight, not necessarily it's great strength. THE MAIN THING is that the cage is made from some kind of STRUCTURAL-GRADE pipe/tube, and that the cage feet are SITTING ON SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL. Two different times in my life have I seen Jeeps that went SERIOUSLY sideways down a hill, one was in 1970 when a buddy got killed,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and one was on this BBS when the photo of the white CJ was posted.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] In the 1970 wreck, the roll bars simply went down through the tub; on the white CJ, the tub came off the frame WITH the rollbar still on it. Cages are nice.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Cages tied securely to the frame are VERY nice.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: The roll cage \"Pipe\" thing....

DOM tubing and chromoly tubing are just about the only materials the you want to save your life in a rollover. Pipe no matter which type is very porus which allows it to bend easier than DOM or chromoly,and possibly crack. You also want to mount your seats and belts to your cage other wise you are cheating yourself, and you definately do not want to do just one or the other.

http://www.bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:04 AM

when i was building my roll cage i heard somewhere that you can use ERW also to build cages. In fact i also heard thats what they use in the nascar race cars. And if i remember right it was mentioned by someone on this board.
Peace
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 09:06 PM

ERW is seamed tubing and DOM (drawn over mandrel) has no seams. I forget what ERW stands for but it has a welded seem. I believe nascar uses cromoly which if you aren't careful welding can get brittle and crack if you ever test the strength of the cage. The Kentrol cage I got from 4wdh is ERW and the spreders I made are also ERW.

'78 CJ7
"UPANOVR"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 09:13 PM
jeepfiend

ERW stands for electric resistance welded. For cage purposes, if you use ERW you want a spec that has been tested. I don't know all the ASTM numbers for tested ERW, but I know the A500 is tested. Most of the ERW tube, not pipe, in the 1020 and 1026 specs is also tested.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Addict

DOM is welded. It is intended for use on items like hydraulic cylinders. Applications where accuracy in id/od concentricity and wall thickness are important.

Seamless is just that.

Why mess around?

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:01 PM

Yeah Dave
I remember the pictures of that guy,That was a really bad roll and his jeep as, I remember was only equipped with a standard "Sports Bar",And his Jeep was seperated into several pieces.
My Question would be ,and this is not directed at CJDave but he brought the particular guy up.Just Hypothetical ,food for thought,keep the grey matter churning kinda thing.
,If your jeep body is attached to the frame ,and your Cage is attached to the frame independently ,and you roll as bad as that guy did ,and the body seperated from the frame and the cage didn't wouldn't you be crushed as the body rode up the upright rails?
My own opinion is a roll that bad ,is except for the grace of GOD not survivable,And I am not sure I would want to survive it it it were.
But on the other hand people survive plane crashes ,and parachute malfunctions,however is the quality of life worth survivnig the trauma ?

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It just so happened that the photo of the white CJ appeared JUST AS we were ready to begin re-doing some of the body-frame mounts in the SNOJEEP. Once I saw those photos, the whole idea of mounting roll bars changed. I did not want to have the tub separate, OR have the tub suck up past the bars either. What we did was construct a "sill" that goes crosswise at the point where the floor rises, and that sill is what supports the feet of the center bar hoop AND provides a thick sectional member that holds the body and body mounts securely to the frame at the same time. Our goal was to protect against BOTH possibilities that you mentioned, which I believe we finally did.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] "Surviving" a severe rollover is dependent on a lot of different factors, but if your rig is well built, and you can keep from passing out, your chances of escaping with quality life are high compared to most other kinds of wrecks.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] When we used to race an asphalt car in the modified divison of NASCAR, we had some very severe rollovers, both sideways and endo. Our driver was never seriously injured because we made sure that we paid attention to detail and provided for his safety.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] LOSING CONSCIOUSNESS is a big factor in rollover survival; once you pass out, a lot more injury can occur as your leg can easily get up through the spokes of the steering wheel and other stuff like that starts to happen to cause more injury.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode