94YJ transmission problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 03:16 AM
mr24boss

94YJ transmission problem

Hey guys,
I have a 94YJ with a AX5 tranny. I had to get my transmission rebuilt and I didn't think I had the know how or the time to tackle the task so I had local mechanic do it for me. The first time I took it to the shop I pulled the transmission. A month later I picked up and reinstalled it. I thought everything was going smooth until my first test run. When I shifted in to 2nd gear I heard that old familiar whine that I had heard before getting it rebuilt. 3rd gear was also the same story but all the rest(1st,4th,5th)were all fine. So I immediatly called the mechanic and told him about the problem. He actually tried to blame it on me saying that I asked it to be done cheap and that he thought 2nd and 3rd should have been replaced in the first place. Anyway, he told me that he would pull the tranny for resonably cheap(because of his mistake) and he would have to charge me for the two new gears. Because this is my only means of transportation I agreed so that I could get back on the road faster. Two months later it was done! And guess what he tells me after he put the two new gears in that ITS STILL WHINNING!. He said that because they are new gears it will take a while for them to breakin and after awhile I wont even notice it. I didn't even ask for the bill I hung up the phone and that night I drove down and picked her up. I was and am so pissed.
So with this out of the way now I can ask this qustion. In a rebuilt tranny when new gears are put in will you get a whine. To me it sounds like it did when I first started haveing troubles with the tranny. Whines in both 2nd and 3rd and while going into the gears. I can also have it in 2nd or 3rd and push in on the clutch and the whinning is still there. The tranny was suppose to be brand new. 2nd 3rd 4th 5th, all bearings and synchro's input cluster gear and input shaft were all supposly installed. To me it sounds like it is bearings.
If someone could give me some help on this I would gladly appreciate it. Thanx guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 08:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 94YJ transmission problem

sorry about you first mistake, of rebuilding that pos.

Read this post:

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...c=1#Post687858

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 12:35 PM
mr24boss

Thanx man but I would really like to keep this transmission if i could. Since I already have $1200 into it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, you can keep the tranny, but like I said, your just gonna do it all over in the next few years. Sorry I can't help more.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Addict

I have had my tranny rebuilt. Although it was an ax-15, they are just about the same. I had sucked water in through the breather then delivered pizzas for a few months. Likewise I distroyed it and had it totallly rebuilt for about 800 bucks. The rebuilt one never whined real loud. It was like it was before the water damage.

About a year later, it wouldn't let me in any gears. The shifter ball and gears had been worn out and couldn't stay in gear. 800 down the tubes. But I had found a new one at a local shop for 450 dollars and installed that.

That one dosent whine, just like the other one.

They are crappy asain made trannys not intended for off road use. good luck with this.

Matt

Give me DUCT TAPE or give me death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode