Bump Steer From Hell? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bump Steer From Hell?

I just recently installed a 4" suspension lift on my 76 cj5. Well I took it out tonight really for the first time since the install and discovered everytime I go over any bump, the Jeep wants to follow in that direction. I haven't ever experienced this but I take it this is what is considered bump steer. I have a Black Diamond steering stabalizer on the front end that I am sure is helping some, but what else can I do. It almost gets hairy at some points when I pass traffic. I am afraid that I will jump into the other lane and hit them head on or something. I doubt this would happen, but still I would like to correct it and I don't know what else to do other than the steering stabalizer. None of this occured until I lifted the Jeep. Any help on this topic would be great.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 12:40 AM
Old Hand

Re: Bump Steer From Hell?

Well, it sounds like you have bump steer for sure. You didn't mention if your lift came with a dropped pitman arm or if you did any mods to the steering, but it sounds like you put the new springs/shocks on.

Bump steer is when you hit a bump and the springs compress the steering components turn. This happens when you lift a vehicle because the drag link that used to sit fairly flat (parallel to the ground) now is at a steep angle. The drag link goes from your steering box/gear to the passenger side knuckle. Since you are holding the wheel, the motion upward follows the arch of the now steep drag link which pushes your steering out. So as your springs compress the wheels turn and then come back to where they were when the springs come back.

The dropped pitman arm lowers the steering gear side so it sits more level.

I have hi-steering on my cj and can hit bumps at any speed with my hand off the wheel or on the wheel with no bump steer. My drag link is almost parallel.

I would recommend a dropped pitman arm for now. I think all 4" kits should have them included. They cost about $45-60. The old ones can be a pain to remove. Do a search and you'll get every idea out there on changing it out.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bump Steer From Hell?

Hey Raymo thanks for the reply. I have a dropped pitman arm but still havent put it on yet. Kinda looks to be a pain. I don't have a sockey to fit that big 1 1/2" bolt to release the arm. I have a pitman arm puller so once I get the bolt take off it shouldnt be too bad. I will let you know what happens.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode