Stupid bureocrats - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stupid bureocrats

I just talked to a mechanic who will(I hope) fix my stalling Jeep for good(3 Carters in 3 years). He suggested going with the Weber 32/36. I asked about the legality of putting this on my 90 YJ and said that this year Arizona changed the rules a bit. He explained that the way the Weber was built to run with the K&N air filter, most of the Jeeps he was doing would come in at half their allotted pollutants, better milage and power. This year Arizona says, that the stock air delivery system has to be intacted or it's an automatic failure, regardless of the output.

Weber has an addon to allow the carb to be used with the stock air cleaner assembly. The mech said this reduces the milage and power gains a tad and actually(the Jeeps he's done) increased the output of pollutants.

Leave it to the sometimes stupid government to go this route. I'm thinking about writing my Congressman about this fiasco, especially after the alt fuels mess this state created.

Anyone else in Arizona or other states experience this? He said the Feds pushed this reg on the state or withhold highway funds--blackmail to me, so Arizona might not be the only one that's bass ackwards.

Christopher R. Sautter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 05:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Stupid bureocrats

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] THAT's why there is a guy in CA who RENTS Volkswagen engines-for-a-day to people who have to pass a smog check. In CA, the "visual" is a big deal.......as big as the emissions check is......so you must have every little fruble, framis, and xenox in place, just like it left the factoreeeeee.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] On the older stuff, not only is it tough to FIND the little frubles, but getting them installed and working is tough as well.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Hence.....a rentaengine-for-a-day. Of course the older VWs only have FOUR BOLTS holding them in. You should see this guy's shop.....ROWS of VW engines; one for each and every year that they made emission-controlled engines; all set up with every fruble in place and ready to go![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 05:49 AM
Official Curmudgeon

So how fast can they change the engines? When I used to be informed on the VW stuff (was building a dune buggy), they had gatherings called Bug-Ins. One of the sport competitions was to remove the engine from a VW bug, drag it on the jack 20 feet across a line, drag it back, reinstall the engine and start it up. They ceased having the competitions when one team could do it consistently in just over four minutes.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 05:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] The only thing that is ever a problem is when the bug is so "stripped down" that there is no place to hang stuff, but usually when the engine comes out, it takes EVERYTHING with it. 30 minutes in the swap-shop is about what it takes on average. Guys have done the swap on their LUNCH HOUR, and made it back to the office/shop/store/burger hut/construction site/mine/quarry/etc./etc.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] When I first saw this guy's place I just had to laugh![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland" building the Ultimate SNOJEEP.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 06:41 AM
Official Curmudgeon

For the competition, it had to be a stock VW with all body and engine sheet metal. Before these guys came along the winning times were typically 12-16 minutes.

I've replaced so many parts that my old Jeep has become my new Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode